Lincecum throws 5th shutout, Giants top A'sMay 22, 2011 - 2:22 AM
It was the eighth career complete game for Lincecum (4-4), who did not walk a batter and allowed just three hits with six strikeouts. After allowing a single to Ryan Sweeney in the first inning, he retired 21 straight batters before Landon Powell singled in the eighth.
Buster Posey, Cody Ross and Miguel Tejada each knocked in a run for the Giants, who earned their fourth consecutive win.
Brett Anderson (2-4) took the loss, allowing one run on five hits and a walk while striking out five through five innings in Oakland's fourth straight loss.
Posey's groundout in the first scored Andres Torres, who led off the inning with a walk and moved to third on a double by Freddy Sanchez to give the Giants an early one-run lead.
That would be the only offense they would need with Lincecum on the mound.
But San Francisco did added a couple more runs in the eighth. Brad Ziegler started the inning and allowed a Posey single to start the inning. Posey then moved to second on a Pat Burrell groundout and came home on a Ross single.
Jerry Blevins then entered and allowed a single to Aubrey Huff to put men on the corners with one out. Tejada followed with a sacrifice fly to score Ross and make it a 3-0 game.
The A's only had a man reach second base once in the game when Coco Crisp took second with two outs in the ninth on a defensive indifference. Sweeney then struck out looking to end the game.
Lincecum threw 133 pitches, 84 for strikes...Posey extended his hit streak to 10 games...Oakland's third baseman Kevin Kousmanoff left the game in the bottom of the eighth because of a groin injury...The Giants have won eight straight home games...San Francisco starting pitchers have allowed three earned runs-or-fewer in each of their last 14 games.
- OAKLAND: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
May 21 9:50 PM
- Mike Fontenot intentionally walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Tim Lincecum due up.
Athletics 0, Giants 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 21 9:26 PM
- Cody Ross single to left scored Buster Posey with one out. Runner on first and Aubrey Huff due up.
Athletics 0, Giants 2 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 21 9:20 PM
- Buster Posey ground out second to first score Andres Torres with one out. On the play, Freddy Sanchez advances to third. Runner on third and Pat Burrell due up.
Athletics 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 21 7:32 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 21 7:16 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21