Crawford helps Red Sox down A'sJun 4, 2011 - 6:13 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Carl Crawford's two-run hit in the seventh inning pulled the Red Sox ahead for good, as Boston got past Oakland, 8-6, in the opener of a three-game set from Fenway Park.
David Ortiz collected two hits and drove in two runs, and Jarrod Saltalamacchia added a solo homer for the Red Sox, who snapped a four-game losing skid.
Bobby Jenks (2-2) turned in one inning of scoreless relief for the win, and Jonathan Papelbon worked a perfect ninth to earn his 11th save.
Daric Barton and Mark Ellis knocked in two runs each for the Athletics, who have lost four straight games.
Joey Devine (0-1) was charged in defeat with two runs while recording two outs.
Boston moved ahead for good in the seventh. Devine loaded the bases with one out after a double from Adrian Gonzalez, hitting Kevin Youkilis and walking Ortiz. That forced the reliever out of the game in favor of Brian Fuentes, who immediately served up the key two-run, two-out single from Crawford and the Sox took a 7-6 lead.
"I was just trying to work [Fuentes] a little bit," Crawford said. "I decided I was going to wait until he threw a strike. I ended up getting to 3-2 where I had to swing and I was able to find a hole."
Saltalamacchia greeted Michael Wuertz with a homer to right-center in the eighth, then Papelbon locked up the win by retiring Oakland in order in the ninth.
Oakland tallied four times in the first inning off BoSox starter Clay Buchholz thanks to a Hideki Matsui fielder's choice grounder, an RBI hit from Barton and a two-run single by Ellis.
Boston came up with two in the home half against Oakland's Josh Outman on a Gonzalez groundout and RBI single from Ortiz, then got within 4-3 in the second as Crawford led off with a base hit and later came in on a Jacoby Ellsbury sacrifice fly.
Youkilis walked with one out in the third and scored when Ortiz followed with a double. The Sox led 5-4 when Jed Lowrie added an RBI single.
Coco Crisp drove in the tying score on a grounder to first with runners on the corners in the fourth, then Josh Willingham began the fifth with a double and scored on Barton's two-out hit for a 6-5 A's edge.
Following that single, Buchholz was pulled. He allowed eight hits and six runs -- five earned -- over 4 2/3 innings. Outman lasted only 2 2/3 frames and was tagged for five hits and four earned runs.
"We start back over tomorrow with what I expect to be better results," A's manager Bob Geren said.
Boston has won three of the last four meetings with Oakland dating back to last September...Prior to the game, the Red Sox placed pitcher Rich Hill on the 15-day disabled list, transferred pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka to the 60-day disabled list, and selected the contract of pitcher Tommy Hottovy from Triple- A Pawtucket...Following the game, the Red Sox announced that Matsuzaka will undergo ligament replacement surgery next week, and miss the remainder of the season...Also prior to the contest, the Athletics placed pitcher Grant Balfour on the paternity list and recalled pitcher Fautino De Los Santos from Triple-A Sacramento.
- OAKLAND: 6
Jun 3 10:47 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury fouled out to short. None on with one out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Athletics 6, Red Sox 8 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 3 10:34 PM
- J.D. Drew grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Athletics 6, Red Sox 7 End 7Jun 3 10:19 PM
- Daric Barton singled to right scored Josh Willingham.. Runner on first with two outs and Mark Ellis due up.
Athletics 6, Red Sox 5 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 3 9:07 PM
- David DeJesus struck out looking to end the inning.
Athletics 5, Red Sox 5 Mid 4Jun 3 8:48 PM
- Jed Lowrie singled to center scored David Ortiz.. Runner on first with one out and Carl Crawford due up.
Athletics 4, Red Sox 5 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 3 8:22 PM
- David Ortiz double to left scored Kevin Youkilis.. Runner on second with one out and Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 4, Red Sox 4 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 3 8:20 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury sacrifice fly out to left scored Mike Cameron.. Runner on first with two outs and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Athletics 4, Red Sox 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 3 8:02 PM
- David Ortiz single to left scored Kevin Youkilis.. Runner on first with two outs and Jed Lowrie due up.
Athletics 4, Red Sox 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 3 7:41 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez ground out second to first scored Jacoby Ellsbury.. None on with two outs and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Athletics 4, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 3 7:38 PM
- Mark Ellis single to center scored Kurt Suzuki and Daric Barton. Runner on first with two outs and Kevin Kouzmanoff due up.
Athletics 4, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 3 7:25 PM
- Daric Barton single to right scored Hideki Matsui. On the play, Kurt Suzuki advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Mark Ellis due up.
Athletics 2, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 3 7:24 PM
- Hideki Matsui grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored David DeJesus. Josh Willingham out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Athletics 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 3 7:19 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 3 7:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21