Godfrey leads Athletics past GiantsJun 18, 2011 - 5:47 AM
The A's were swept by the Giants last month and had a six-game skid against them, but on Friday Godfrey (1-0) had his pitches working well, throwing 70 of his 96 offerings for strikes. The 26-year-old right-hander, a 34th-round draft pick by Toronto in 2006, allowed six hits and one earned run. He also fanned three without issuing a walk.
Conor Jackson had three hits, including an RBI single, for the A's, winners of three in a row.
"That's a great win for us," A's manager Bob Melvin said. "That's the world champions that we have a ton of respect for and one of the great pitchers in the game."
Lincecum (5-6) had seven strikeouts over six-plus innings, but his five walks hurt the two-time National League Cy Young Award winner. The righty, who is winless over his last four starts, fell to 5-1 lifetime against the A's. He came into the game with a 1.17 ERA vs. Oakland, but gave up five hits and two earned runs.
"I was battling the whole time instead of cruising, which is what I'd like to do," Lincecum said. "I've just go to do better."
Cody Ross homered for the Giants, who were coming off a 3-2 loss in 10 innings at Arizona on Thursday.
The Giants got within a run in the sixth thanks to a miscue from shortstop Cliff Pennington. Bill Hall doubled leading off the frame and Aubrey Huff grounded what should have been a double play to end the inning, but the ball squirted under the legs of Pennington into the outfield to score Hall.
The A's padded their lead off Guillermo Mota in the eighth. Scott Sizemore doubled in a run and then scored on Jemlie Weeks' double down the right field line. Weeks was thrown out trying to stretch the hit into a triple.
That set the stage for Andrew Bailey, who retired the side in order to secure his third save of 2011.
Jackson's base hit to right plated Coco Crisp in the first inning before Ross tied the game in the second with a leadoff homer.
The A's went ahead 3-1 in the third. Josh Willingham doubled in a run, stole third and scored when the throw from catcher Chris Stewart sailed into left field.
The A's are 4-11 in the month of June...The Giants went 0-for-6 with men in scoring position...Since his complete game vs. A's this season on May 21, Lincecum has gone 1-2 with a 6.67 ERA over his last five starts.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Jun 18 12:51 AM
- Andrew Bailey starts the inning for the Athletics.
Giants 2, Athletics 5 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 18 12:47 AM
- Scott Sizemore doubled to right scored David DeJesus with two out. Runner on second and Jemile Weeks due up.
Giants 2, Athletics 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 18 12:40 AM
- Aubrey Huff reached first on Cliff Pennington's fielding error scored Bill Hall. Runner on first with one out and Cody Ross due up.
Giants 2, Athletics 3 Top 6, 1 OutJun 17 11:41 PM
- Josh Willingham stole third. On the play, Josh Willingham scores on Chris Stewart's throwing error. None on with one out and Conor Jackson at the plate.
Giants 1, Athletics 3 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 17 10:56 PM
- Josh Willingham doubled to left scored Hideki Matsui with one out. Runner on second and Conor Jackson due up.
Giants 1, Athletics 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 17 10:54 PM
- Nate Schierholtz popped out to short. None on with one out and Miguel Tejada due up.
Giants 1, Athletics 1 Top 2, 1 OutJun 17 10:33 PM
- Conor Jackson singled to right scored Coco Crisp with two out. On the play, Hideki Matsui advances to third. Runners on first and third with David DeJesus due up.
Giants 0, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 17 10:24 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 17 10:09 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21