Matsui sends Oakland past San FranciscoJun 19, 2011 - 7:26 AM
Cliff Pennington and Daric Barton both had an RBI and run scored for the A's, who have won four in a row.
Oakland starter Guillermo Moscoso gave up two unearned runs on three hits over 4 2/3 innings. Brad Ziegler (2-0) recorded the final out in the fifth to pick up the win.
Aubrey Huff knocked in a run for the Giants, who have dropped three straight since a three-game winning streak.
Jonathan Sanchez (4-5) allowed four runs on six hits over 4 2/3 frames to take the loss.
The Giants loaded the bases with two outs in the second, but Chris Stewart flied out to keep it a scoreless game.
The fifth inning is when all the action took place. Stewart started the top half of the frame with an infield single, and Andres Torres followed with a walk. Emmanuel Burriss' bunt to Moscoso resulted in a wild throw to third. The error allowed the first run of the game to score. Two batters later, Huff drove in a run with a sacrifice fly.
But Oakland responded with four runs in the home fifth. Scott Sizemore singled and scored on Barton's one-out double to right-center field. After Jemile Weeks flied out, Pennington hit an RBI double down the left-field line to make it a 2-2 game. Pennington advanced to third on a wild pitch. Coco Crisp then walked and stole second to put men on second and third. Matsui followed with a single to right to plate both runners for a 4-2 edge.
"He's been getting some of his best swings against left-handers, certainly since I've been here," A's manager Bob Melvin said of Matsui. "I don't even give it a second thought. He's always been able to hit left-handers."
San Francisco stranded men on first and third in the sixth.
Joey Devine, Brian Fuentes, Grant Balfour and Andrew Bailey each pitched a scoreless inning of relief for Oakland. Bailey worked around a one-out single in the ninth to record his fourth save of the season.
"That's been pretty much the case the last few days. We're just having a hard time driving in a run," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "That's what it comes down to, and that's what wins ballgames for you. They got some big hits. We didn't."
San Francisco fell to 2-3 on a six-game road swing. The Giants are still 13-6 in the last 19 meetings with the Athletics. San Francisco swept a three-game series versus Oakland from May 20-22 this season at AT&T Park...The A's were without outfielder Josh Willingham (sore left Achilles)...Oakland improved to 5-11 in the month of June...The A's, who had two errors, have committed at least one error in a season-high nine consecutive games (12 errors total).
- SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Jun 19 1:14 AM
- Hideki Matsui singled to right scored Cliff Pennington and Coco Crisp with two out. Runner on second and Conor Jackson due up.
Giants 2, Athletics 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 19 12:03 AM
- Cliff Pennington doubled to left scored Daric Barton with two out. Runner on second and Coco Crisp due up.
Giants 2, Athletics 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 18 11:55 PM
- Daric Barton doubled to right scored Scott Sizemore with one out. Runner on second and Jemile Weeks due up.
Giants 2, Athletics 1 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 18 11:52 PM
- Aubrey Huff sacrifice fly out to left scored Andres Torres with one out. Runner on second and Cody Ross due up.
Giants 2, Athletics 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 18 11:44 PM
- Emmanuel Burriss reached second on Guillermo Moscoso's throwing error scored Chris Stewart On the play, Andres Torres advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 1, Athletics 0 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 18 11:37 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 18 10:07 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21