Marlins top A's, win 1st series in JuneJul 1, 2011 - 12:36 AM
John Buck hit a two-run double to cap a four-run fifth inning and Florida held on for a 5-4 victory to take two out of three games in Oakland.
Chris Volstad (4-7) pitched seven strong innings for the win and Hanley Ramirez had two hits and two runs scored. Leo Nunez gave up a two-run homer to Kurt Suzuki in the ninth, but struck out the last two batters for his 22nd save.
After starting the month 1-19, the Marlins ended June with a 5-23 record under two different managers. They will remain on the road to start July with a three-game series against the Texas Rangers.
"We got our work cut out in Texas, but I think we can handle them," said interim manager Jack McKeon. "We got a good feeling about ourselves. All we need to do is win three or four in a row and who knows whether it will snowball."
A's starter Trevor Cahill was knocked out during Florida's four-run fifth and took the loss. Cahill (8-6) allowed five runs -- four earned -- on nine hits in 4 2/3 frames.
Oakland has lost six of its last eight games on the heels of a six-game winning streak.
Ramirez had a hand in both of Florida's run-scoring innings. He led off the second with a double, then scored when Logan Morrison followed with a two-base hit to make it 1-0.
Volstad faced two batters over the minimum through four innings, and the Marlins tried to break the game open in the fifth.
Emilio Bonifacio led off with a single and stole second base, but Florida scored all four of its runs with two outs.
Ramirez hit a chopper down the line that third baseman Adam Rosales left alone, hoping it would roll foul. It stayed fair, scoring Bonifacio, and Ramirez moved up on a wild pitch before scoring on Morrison's single to center field.
The biggest hit of the inning, however, was delivered by Buck -- a double to the wall in left-center that scored Morrison and Mike Stanton to make it 5-0 and chase Cahill off the mound for Trystan Magnuson.
"My stuff wasn't sharp," said Cahill.
As it turned out, Florida needed all of those runs.
Volstad found trouble with two outs in the seventh and surrendered an RBI single to Adam Rosales. Coco Crisp hit a solo homer off Edward Mujica in the eighth, pulling the A's within 5-2.
After David DeJesus reached on a one-out single in the ninth, Suzuki lined a 3-1 pitch over the wall in left field to draw Oakland within a run. Rosales and Jemile Weeks both struck out swinging to end the game.
The Marlins are 4-5 since McKeon replaced Edwin Rodriguez last week...The A's will continue their nine-game homestand with a three-game series against the Diamondbacks starting Friday.
- FLORIDA: 5
Jun 30 6:13 PM
- Kurt Suzuki one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored David DeJesus. Adam Rosales due up.
Marlins 5, Athletics 4 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 30 6:09 PM
- Coco Crisp one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Hideki Matsui due up.
Marlins 5, Athletics 2 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 30 5:51 PM
- Adam Rosales singled to left scored David DeJesus. On the play, Kurt Suzuki advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jemile Weeks due up.
Marlins 5, Athletics 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 30 5:37 PM
- John Buck doubled to center scored Logan Morrison and Mike Stanton. Runner on second with two outs and Jose Lopez due up.
Marlins 5, Athletics 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 30 4:55 PM
- Logan Morrison singled to center scored Hanley Ramirez. Runner on first with two outs and Mike Stanton due up.
Marlins 3, Athletics 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 30 4:50 PM
- Hanley Ramirez advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second with two outs and Logan Morrison at the plate.
Marlins 2, Athletics 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 30 4:49 PM
- Logan Morrison doubled to right scored Hanley Ramirez. Runner on second with none out and Mike Stanton due up.
Marlins 1, Athletics 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 30 3:56 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 30 3:39 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22