A's chase Pineiro in first, roll to victory over HalosJul 18, 2011 - 1:02 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Conor Jackson put an exclamation point on an eight-run first inning by hitting his first career grand slam, powering the Oakland Athletics to a 9-1 pounding of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the finale of a four game series.
Hideki Matsui collected three RBI while Jemile Weeks added an RBI single for the A's, who took three of four from their AL West rivals.
Gio Gonzalez (9-6) worked seven scoreless innings, giving up only four hits while fanning eight and walking two.
Joel Pineiro (5-4) recorded just one out in his start, giving up eight runs -- seven earned -- on four hits, while walking four.
"He had a little problem with his grip," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of his starter's rough outing. "He had good movement on his pitches, but he really couldn't get it in the zone and keep it in the zone and consequently, you saw what happened."
Bobby Wilson knocked in the lone LA run with a ninth-inning single, while Alberto Callaspo had three hits for the Angels, who fell to 9-5 in July.
The A's jumped all over Pineiro in their first at-bat, plating eight runs.
Pineiro was shaky out of the gate with serious control issues, as he walked the first three hitters of the inning -- Weeks, Coco Crisp and Josh Willingham -- to load the bases. Matsui followed with a two-run single and Scott Sizemore walked to re-load the bases. David DeJesus reached on a Mark Trumbo error to bring in another run for a 3-0 cushion.
The big blow in the inning came off the bat of Jackson, who cracked a fastball deep into the seats in left. Three batters later, Weeks ripped an RBI single in his second at-bat of the inning to widen the lead to 8-0.
"We had really focused at-bats," A's manager Bob Melvin said of his team's big inning. "It started with Weeks, who got behind in the count and ended up drawing a walk and good things happened after that. Sometimes it's just about passing the baton and having confidence in the guy behind you."
With runners on the corners and one out in the third, Matsui grounded into a fielder's choice to score Weeks for a 9-0 lead.
The Angels are 18-32 when they don't score first and are 15-17 against left- handed starters...Jackson's grand slam in the first gives the A's 52 home runs as a team, the fewest total in baseball... DeJesus is a career .340 hitter against Los Angeles...Matsui is one home run short of 500 for his professional career between the major leagues and the Japanese Professional League.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
Jul 17 6:44 PM
- Bobby Wilson single to center scored Alexi Amarista with two out. On the play, Alberto Callaspo advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 9 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 17 6:44 PM
- Hideki Matsui grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Jemile Weeks. Josh Willingham out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Scott Sizemore due up.
Angels 0, Athletics 9 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 17 5:19 PM
- Jemile Weeks single to center scored Cliff Pennington with one out. Runner on first and Coco Crisp due up.
Angels 0, Athletics 8 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 17 4:39 PM
- Conor Jackson none-out, Grand Slam (3) to left scored Hideki Matsui, Scott Sizemore and David DeJesus. Kurt Suzuki due up.
Angels 0, Athletics 7 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 17 4:38 PM
- Hideki Matsui single to right scored Jemile Weeks and Coco Crisp with none out. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to third. Runners on first and third and Scott Sizemore due up.
Angels 0, Athletics 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 17 4:30 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 17 4:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22