Matsui stays hot as A's pound RaysJul 28, 2011 - 6:18 AM
Matsui, who had three hits and drove in five runs, is batting .444 (20-for-45) with 17 RBI since the Midsummer Classic.
Ryan Sweeney capped the big inning with a two-run homer. Scott Sizemore added a two-run triple in the frame.
Jemile Weeks ended 3-for-4 with three RBI and three runs scored, as the Athletics moved to the brink of a four-game sweep of this series.
"It's about believing in starting over in the second half and putting the first half behind you," A's manager Bob Melvin said. "All it takes is really a couple of games. We kept preaching as a staff we're a good offensive team, no matter what the numbers looked like in the first half."
Trevor Cahill (9-9) allowed four hits and fanned six over 7 1/3 innings to snap a four-game losing streak. It was a much different outcome than his last start, when he allowed 10 runs in a 17-7 loss to the Yankees.
James Shields (9-9) was tagged for 12 hits and 10 runs over four innings for the Rays, who lost for the fifth time in six games.
Matt Joyce hit a two-run homer for Tampa Bay, which lost for the fifth time in six games.
While the Rays continue to falter and are now 11 1/2 games out of first place in the AL East, they did set a record Wednesday night. This was the 705th straight game in which the Rays have started a pitcher under the age of 30, breaking the major league record of 704 set by the 1913-17 Washington Senators, led by Hall of Famer Walter Johnson.
"If we were in any other division we'd probably have a totally different mind set instead of putting so much pressure on ourselves to really keep up with the Yankees or the Red Sox," Joyce said. "We don't have that."
Matsui doubled to center to drive in Weeks in the third and the A's sent 12 men to the plate in the fourth. Sizemore's triple to the gap in right-center field plated Conor Jackson and Sweeney. After Landon Powell walked, Weeks blooped a hit to center for a 4-0 cushion.
With two outs, Matsui drove a first offering from Shields over the wall in right for his ninth homer of the year. Josh Willingham doubled and scored on Jackson's single prior to Sweeney's homer to right-center.
Weeks tripled in a run in the fifth and scored on Matsui's base hit to center.
A sacrifice fly by Weeks in the sixth made it 13-0.
Joyce homered to right off Fautino De Los Santos in the ninth. Desmond Jennings and Johnny Damon singled in runs later in the frame.
The 12 hits and 10 runs given up by Shields equal career-highs...The Rays have lost seven of their last eight away games after starting the season 28-18 on the road...The Rays are 3-for-29 with men in scoring position in this series...This was the first homer for Sweeney since May 4, 2010.
- TAMPA BAY: 4
Jul 28 12:58 AM
- Johnny Damon singled to center scored Desmond Jennings with two out. Runner on first and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 4, Athletics 13 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 28 12:57 AM
- Desmond Jennings singled to left scored Justin Ruggiano with two out. Runner on first and Johnny Damon due up.
Rays 3, Athletics 13 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 28 12:57 AM
- Matt Joyce none-out, two-run Home Run (15) to right scored Robinson Chirinos. Kelly Shoppach due up.
Rays 2, Athletics 13 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 28 12:43 AM
- Jemile Weeks sacrifice fly scored Ryan Sweeney with two out. On the play, Scott Sizemore was doubled off at first from right to first to end the inning.
Rays 0, Athletics 13 End 6Jul 28 12:03 AM
- Hideki Matsui singled to center scored Jemile Weeks with one out. On the play, Coco Crisp advances to second. Runners on first and second with Josh Willingham due up.
Rays 0, Athletics 12 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 27 11:40 PM
- Jemile Weeks tripled to right scored Landon Powell with one out. Runner on third and Coco Crisp due up.
Rays 0, Athletics 11 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 27 11:37 PM
- Cliff Pennington struck out looking to end the inning.
Rays 0, Athletics 10 End 4Jul 27 11:22 PM
- Conor Jackson singled to right scored Josh Willingham with two out. On the play, Jackson advances to third on Matt Joyce's fielding error. Runner on third and Ryan Sweeney due up.
Rays 0, Athletics 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 27 11:18 PM
- Hideki Matsui two-out, three-run Home Run (9) to right scored Landon Powell and Jemile Weeks. Josh Willingham due up.
Rays 0, Athletics 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 27 11:15 PM
- Coco Crisp flied out to left. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Hideki Matsui due up.
Rays 0, Athletics 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 27 11:13 PM
- Landon Powell walked. Runners on first and third with one out and Jemile Weeks due up.
Rays 0, Athletics 3 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 27 11:11 PM
- Hideki Matsui doubled to center scored Jemile Weeks with two out. Runner on second and Josh Willingham due up.
Rays 0, Athletics 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 27 10:53 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 27 10:08 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22