Cuddyer bats Twins over A'sJul 30, 2011 - 6:36 AM
Trevor Plouffe and Jason Kubel added two RBI apiece for the Twins, who have won three of four.
"We're still in this chase with two months to go," said Plouffe. "We have a bunch of games left in our division and that's why we've been successful in the past. As long as we can win some on the road and do our job at home, we'll be there come September."
Liriano (7-8) gave up two runs on six hits to pick up the victory. He struck out four and walked two.
Josh Willingham hit a three-run and two-run homer for the A's, who have lost two in a row since a three-game winning streak.
Gio Gonzalez (9-8) allowed five runs -- four earned -- on nine hits over 5 1/3 innings to take the loss. He struck out five and walked three.
"Other than the two homers from Josh, not a good day all the way around," A's manager Bob Melvin said.
The Twins got the game started with a pair of runs in the first inning. Plouffe reached base on a fielder's choice and Joe Mauer singled to put men on first and second with one out. After Cuddyer struck out swinging, Kubel hit a two-run double to left.
Willingham tied the game in the home half with one swing of the bat. Coco Crisp hit a one-out single and scored on Willingham's two-out homer to left.
Minnesota added a run in the third. Plouffe reached first on third baseman Scott Sizemore's throwing error. Mauer then reached base on a throwing error by Gonzalez. Cuddyer knocked in a run when he grounded into a double play.
The Twins tacked on a run in the fifth to make it a 4-2 game. Ben Revere led off with an infield single, stole second and scored on Plouffe's base hit to center.
The visitors put another run on the board in the sixth. Delmon Young and Matt Tolbert singled and Drew Butera walked to load the bases. Revere also worked a walk to force in a run. Fautino De Los Santos came in from the bullpen and limited the damage.
Oakland had a chance to get back in the game in the home sixth. Hideki Matsui singled and Willingham walked to begin the frame. But Conor Jackson grounded into a fielder's choice and David DeJesus grounded into a double play to end the threat.
The Twins pulled away with a four-run eighth. With Michael Wuertz on the mound, Plouffe hit an RBI single. Mauer intentionally walked before Cuddyer cleared the bases with a three-run homer to left for a 9-2 lead.
Willingham made things a bit interesting with a three-run homer off Jose Mijares in the home eighth.
Alex Burnett and Glen Perkins combined to pitch a scoreless ninth to seal Minnesota's victory.
The Twins have taken four of six from the A's this season...Liriano improved to 2-3 lifetime against Oakland...Gonzalez fell to 2-3 in his career against Minnesota...Oakland has totaled four or more runs in nine straight games...The Twins placed second baseman Alexi Casilla on the 15-day disabled list and recalled second baseman Luke Hughes from Triple-A Rochester. Hughes went 0- for-3 on Friday...The A's went 2-for-7 with runners in scoring position and stranded five.
- MINNESOTA: 9
Jul 30 1:16 AM
- Josh Willingham one-out, three-run Home Run 2 (15) to left scored Coco Crisp and Hideki Matsui. Conor Jackson due up.
Twins 9, Athletics 5 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 30 12:53 AM
- Michael Cuddyer two-out, three-run Home Run (16) to left scored Trevor Plouffe and Joe Mauer. Jason Kubel due up.
Twins 9, Athletics 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 30 12:40 AM
- Trevor Plouffe single to left scored Drew Butera with two out. Runner on second and Joe Mauer due up.
Twins 6, Athletics 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 30 12:40 AM
- Ben Revere walk scored Delmon Young with one out. Bases loaded and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 5, Athletics 2 Top 6, 1 OutJul 29 11:45 PM
- Trevor Plouffe single to center scored Ben Revere with none out. Runner on first and Joe Mauer due up.
Twins 4, Athletics 2 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 29 11:19 PM
- Michael Cuddyer grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Trevor Plouffe with two out. Joe Mauer out at second. None on and Jason Kubel due up.
Twins 3, Athletics 2 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 29 10:51 PM
- Josh Willingham two-out, two-run Home Run (14) to left scored Coco Crisp. Conor Jackson due up.
Twins 2, Athletics 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 29 10:26 PM
- Jason Kubel doubled to left scored Trevor Plouffe and Joe Mauer. Runner on second with two outs and Delmon Young due up.
Twins 2, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 29 10:18 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 29 10:07 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22