Can't get enough of that Crisp: Coco helps A's beat Yanks in 10Aug 25, 2011 - 5:22 AM
Crisp homered from both sides of the plate during a four-hit, five-RBI effort for the A's, who have won four of five, including the first two meetings in this three-game set.
Scott Sizemore also went 4-for-4 with an RBI and two runs scored in Oakland's win, which was credited to Fautino De Los Santos (2-0) for tossing a perfect ninth.
Nick Swisher homered twice, and Mark Teixeira added a game-tying solo blast in the eighth, but it wasn't enough as New York lost for the third time in four games to fall one game behind AL East-leading Boston.
Soriano (2-2) gave up a pair of one-out singles in the 10th before fanning Jemile Weeks. The set-up man went with a breaking ball on his first pitch to the left-handed-hitting Crisp, and the hanger was crushed into the second deck in right.
"[Soriano] threw [a slider], I reacted and I caught the barrel," recalled Crisp, whose homer snapped Oakland's string of 10 straight series losses to the Yankees.
Andrew Bailey surrendered a solo homer to Swisher in the bottom half before finishing off his second straight save and 18th of the season.
Crisp hit CC Sabathia's third pitch of the game over the left-field wall for the early lead, but the Yankees tied things in the third when Brett Gardner singled, stole second and scored on Derek Jeter's base hit to center.
The Yankees went ahead on Swisher's solo shot in the sixth, and appeared ready to even the series before Sabathia hit a rough patch in the eighth.
Kurt Suzuki led off the frame with a single and Yankees manager Joe Girardi made a brief visit to the mound after a sacrifice bunt advanced the runner into scoring position for Sizemore, who had doubled and singled off Sabathia in their first two encounters.
The pep talk didn't work, as Sizemore doubled to the left-field wall on an 0-2 pitch, bringing in Suzuki with the tying run.
"Tonight was totally my fault. It was a 2-1 game in the eighth with the lead, and it was time for me to shut it down," Sabathia said. "It just didn't work out."
David Robertson relieved Sabathia and walked Weeks on five pitches before Crisp dribbled one up the middle to knock in Sizemore. Robertson limited the damage by getting Hideki Matsui on a line drive to short for an unassisted double play.
Teixeira made it 3-3 just five pitches into the bottom half, taking a Grant Balfour offering over the wall in right-center for his 35th home run of the year.
Crisp's only other multi-home run game came on June 18, 2007 when he was with Boston...The A's have won their last three road series after going winless over their previous 12...Brian Fuentes worked out of a two-on, no-out situation in the seventh in relief of A's starter Cahill, who was charged with two runs on seven hits over six-plus frames...Sabathia also took a no-decision after yielding three runs on seven hits in 7 1/3 innings...Swisher has hit six of his 18 home runs this season against the A's, with whom he spent the first four years of his career...Jeter went 2-for-5 and moved passed Rod Carew for 22nd place on the all-time hits list with 3,055...Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano went 1-for-5 to extend his hitting streak to 15 games...Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez was sidelined for the second straight game due to a thumb injury.
- OAKLAND: 6
NEW YORK: 4
Aug 24 10:21 PM
- Nick Swisher two-out, solo Home Run 2 (18) to right. Andruw Jones due up.
Athletics 6, Yankees 4 Bot 10, 2 OutsAug 24 10:19 PM
- Hideki Matsui grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Athletics 6, Yankees 3 Mid 10Aug 24 10:14 PM
- Mark Teixeira lead-off Home Run (35) to right center. Robinson Cano due up.
Athletics 3, Yankees 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 24 9:40 PM
- Coco Crisp single to center scored Scott Sizemore with one out. On the play, Jemile Weeks advances to second. Runners on first and second and Hideki Matsui due up.
Athletics 3, Yankees 2 Top 8, 1 OutAug 24 9:31 PM
- Scott Sizemore double to left scored Kurt Suzuki with one out. Runner on second and Jemile Weeks due up.
Athletics 2, Yankees 2 Top 8, 1 OutAug 24 9:25 PM
- Nick Swisher two-out, solo Home Run (17) to left. Jorge Posada due up.
Athletics 1, Yankees 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 24 8:54 PM
- Derek Jeter single to center scored Brett Gardner with one out. Runner on first and Curtis Granderson due up.
Athletics 1, Yankees 1 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 24 8:02 PM
- Coco Crisp one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Hideki Matsui due up.
Athletics 1, Yankees 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 24 7:09 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 24 7:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21
- Tanaka helps Yankees beat A's for 4th straight win May 21