Yankees set MLB record with 3 grand slamsAug 26, 2011 - 5:38 AM
Robinson Cano, Russell Martin and Curtis Granderson all homered with the bases loaded Thursday to make the Yankees the first team in major league history to hit three grand slams in one game.
Cano hit his grand slam in the fifth inning, Martin got his in the sixth and Granderson knocked a 94 mph fastball from Bruce Billings into the bullpen in the eighth inning to set the mark.
"Pretty crazy," said New York manager Joe Girardi.
The Yankees beat Oakland, 22-9, to avoid being swept at home by the Athletics for the first time in more than five years.
Martin also had a solo homer in the fourth inning and went 5-for-5 with six RBI for the Yankees, who climbed out of a 7-1 hole after three innings. New York had 21 hits in the game and batted around in the last four innings.
The game, delayed 89 minutes at the start because of rain, took 4 hours and 31 minutes to play. Things got so out of hand that Jorge Posada played second base for the Yankees in the bottom of the ninth and recorded the last out on a ground ball.
The Yankees hit two grand slams for the fourth time in franchise history when Martin put just enough of his bat on a Fautino De Los Santos fastball in the sixth inning, lining the 96 mph pitch into the first row of seats behind the right field wall to make it 10-7.
Seven Yankees -- including Martin and Cano -- batted with the bases loaded in the seventh inning, as New York sent 12 men to the plate and scored six more runs on two hits and seven walks.
Granderson was the third Yankee to bat with the bases loaded against Billings in the eighth and fouled off two straight 1-2 pitches before knocking a low fastball over the right-center field wall.
"You have to be pretty fortunate to be able to do that," Girardi said of the record. "Because you have to get the bases loaded a lot."
Derek Jeter, whose three hits included a triple, came up four times with the bases loaded but knocked in just one run. For good measure, Andruw Jones hit a solo homer after Granderson's record-setting blast in the eighth.
"We were just all out of sync on our pitching side," Billings said. "Speaking for myself, I wasn't throwing the ball where I wanted to today. When you fall behind big league hitters, they're going to make you pay."
Alex Rodriguez, who got his first two hits since coming off the disabled list, batted with the bases loaded in the seventh but lined out. Rodriguez hit his 22nd career grand slam at Baltimore in April and is chasing Lou Gehrig's all- time record of 23.
"We may never see that again," Rodriguez said of the three grand slams.
There were seven home runs hit in the game, including two by Oakland. Cliff Pennington hit a three-run homer and knocked in four for the A's, while Scott Sizemore added a solo blast in the eighth.
The Yankees remained a game behind the Red Sox, who won at Texas Thursday night.
By the time the game ended, the starters (Phil Hughes for New York, Rich Harden for Oakland) were afterthoughts. De Los Santos (2-1) took the loss, while Yankees reliever Boone Logan (4-2) earned the win.
A's pitchers issued 13 walks in the game, including five by Jordan Norberto during the sixth and seventh innings.
Posada, who has fallen in and out of the Yankees lineup during a down season offensively, told Girardi he wanted to play second base for the first time in his MLB career and cleanly fielded Anthony Recher's grounder in the ninth.
His throw to first was rifled into the dirt, but dug out by Nick Swisher to end the bizarre game.
"It's been a long time since I took a ground ball in the middle of the infield," said Posada.
The A's knocked Hughes around for six runs and seven hits in just 2 2/3 innings and took a 7-1 lead after Pennington's three-run blast in the third.
Russell smacked his solo homer to right field in the fourth inning and Cano helped chase Harden with his grand slam in the fifth.
The A's were trying for their first three-game sweep in the Bronx since June 9-11, 2006...The Yankees are 15-4 against the A's at home since the start of the 2008 season...This series started a 10-game road trip for Oakland that continues with three games in Boston starting Friday...The Yankees are headed on an eight-game road trip that begins with five games in Baltimore -- a series that could be impacted by Hurricane Irene...Cano has a 16-game hitting streak, two shy of his career-best.
- OAKLAND: 9
NEW YORK: 22
Aug 25 7:06 PM
- Brandon Allen double to left scored Josh Willingham with none out. Runner on second and David DeJesus due up.
Athletics 9, Yankees 22 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 25 7:02 PM
- Andruw Jones two-out, solo Home Run (10) to left. Eric Chavez due up.
Athletics 8, Yankees 22 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 25 6:55 PM
- Curtis Granderson two-out, Grand Slam (36) to center scored Russell Martin, Eduardo Nunez and Brett Gardner. Andruw Jones due up.
Athletics 8, Yankees 21 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 25 6:51 PM
- Brett Gardner single to right scored Francisco Cervelli with one out. On the play, Eduardo Nunez advances to second and Russell Martin advances to third. Bases loaded and Derek Jeter due up.
Athletics 8, Yankees 17 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 25 6:46 PM
- Scott Sizemore lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Jemile Weeks due up.
Athletics 8, Yankees 16 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 25 6:30 PM
- Mark Teixeira walk scored Brett Gardner scored on the play with two outs. Bases loaded and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Athletics 7, Yankees 16 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 25 6:24 PM
- Curtis Granderson infield single to first scored Eduardo Nunez with two outs. On the play, Derek Jeter advances to second and Brett Gardner advances to third. Bases loaded and Mark Teixeira due up.
Athletics 7, Yankees 15 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 25 6:22 PM
- Derek Jeter walk scored Nick Swisher with two outs. Bases loaded and Curtis Granderson due up.
Athletics 7, Yankees 14 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 25 6:20 PM
- Eduardo Nunez grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scoring Alex Rodriguez with two outs. Russell Martin out at second. Nick Swisher advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brett Gardner due up.
Athletics 7, Yankees 13 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 25 6:15 PM
- Russell Martin single to right scored Mark Teixeira with one out. On the play, Nick Swisher advances to second and Alex Rodriguez advances to third. Bases loaded and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Athletics 7, Yankees 12 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 25 6:12 PM
- Robinson Cano sacrifice fly to center scored Curtis Granderson with one out. On the play, Mark Teixeira advances to third. Runners on first and third and and Nick Swisher due up.
Athletics 7, Yankees 11 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 25 6:05 PM
- Eduardo Nunez singled to center. Runner on first with two outs and Brett Gardner due up.
Athletics 7, Yankees 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 25 5:30 PM
- Robinson Cano one-out, Grand Slam (22) to right scored Derek Jeter, Curtis Granderson and Alex Rodriguez. Nick Swisher due up.
Athletics 7, Yankees 6 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 25 4:46 PM
- Russell Martin one-out, solo Home Run (16) to right. Eduardo Nunez due up.
Athletics 7, Yankees 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 25 4:14 PM
- Cliff Pennington two-out, three-run Home Run (6) to right scored Josh Willingham and David DeJesus. Anthony Recker due up.
Athletics 7, Yankees 1 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 25 3:46 PM
- David DeJesus singled to right scored Hideki Matsui. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Cliff Pennington due up.
Athletics 4, Yankees 1 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 25 3:43 PM
- Josh Willingham singled to left scored Jemile Weeks. On the play, Hideki Matsui advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Brandon Allen due up.
Athletics 3, Yankees 1 Top 3, 1 OutAug 25 3:38 PM
- Cliff Pennington doubled to right center scored David DeJesus. Runner on second with one out and Anthony Recker due up.
Athletics 2, Yankees 1 Top 2, 1 OutAug 25 3:06 PM
- Mark Teixeira grounded out second to pitcher scored Derek Jeter. None on with two outs and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Athletics 1, Yankees 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 25 2:55 PM
- Hideki Matsui sacrifice fly out to center scored Jemile Weeks. None on with two outs and Josh Willingham due up.
Athletics 1, Yankees 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 25 2:45 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 25 2:35 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21
- Tanaka helps Yankees beat A's for 4th straight win May 21