A's rally in ninth to take down AngelsSep 26, 2011 - 3:51 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Coco Crisp capped a four-run ninth inning with a sacrifice fly, as the Athletics took down the Angels, 6-5, hampering Los Angeles' hopes to reach the playoffs.
The Angels are three games behind Boston with three remaining. The Red Sox lost to the Yankees in the opener of a doubleheader Sunday, but won in 14 innings in the night contest in the Bronx. The Angels, who host AL West- champion Texas to conclude the season, are also two games behind Tampa Bay.
Josh Willingham led off the ninth with a homer to left-center field. Scott Sizemore and Chris Carter hit one-out singles. Adam Rosales followed with a grounder back to pitcher Jordan Walden (5-4), who threw wildly to second. A run scored on the play and runners were set up on the corners. Kurt Suzuki kept the rally going with an RBI double down the right-field line. Jemile Weeks was intentionally walked to load the bases. Hisanori Takahashi then gave up Crisp's sac fly to make it 6-5 A's.
Andrew Bailey worked around a two-out walk in the ninth to secure Oakland's third win in four games.
"We came back against a team fighting for a playoff spot," A's manager Bob Melvin said. "Probably the best win I've seen for us this season."
A's starter Rich Harden gave up three runs on eight hits over six innings. Fautino De Los Santos (3-2) got the win despite giving up two runs in the eighth.
LA starter Joel Pineiro pitched 6 1/3 scoreless frames, giving up three hits and striking out four.
The Angels took the lead in the first inning. Howie Kendrick hit a one-out triple to center and scored on Bobby Abreu's base hit.
Abreu added a solo homer to right in the third for a 2-0 lead. Vernon Wells hit a solo shot to left-center in the sixth to give Los Angeles a three-run edge.
The A's loaded the bases with one out in the eighth. Weeks hit an RBI single and Crisp added a sac fly to cut the gap to 3-2.
Peter Bourjos got both runs back in the home half on with a two-run bloop double to right.
"It hurts to lose a game like that," Angels outfielder Torii Hunter said.
Oakland went 11-8 against the Angels this season...The A's were without shortstop Cliff Pennington (left oblique).
- Hideki Matsui flied out to right to end the inning.
Athletics 6, Angels 5 Mid 9Sep 25 6:26 PM
- Kurt Suzuki double to right scored Chris Carter with one out. On the play, Adam Rosales advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jemile Weeks due up.
Athletics 5, Angels 5 Top 9, 1 OutSep 25 6:21 PM
- Adam Rosales reaches on a force attempt, throwing error by Jordan Walden, scoring Scott Sizemore with one out. On the play, Chris Carter advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Athletics 4, Angels 5 Top 9, 1 OutSep 25 6:19 PM
- Josh Willingham lead-off Home Run (28) to left center. Michael Taylor due up.
Athletics 3, Angels 5 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 25 6:13 PM
- Coco Crisp sacrifice fly to center scored Jai Miller with two out. Runners on first and second and Hideki Matsui due up.
Athletics 2, Angels 3 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 25 5:51 PM
- Jemile Weeks single to center scored Scott Sizemore with one out. On the play, Kurt Suzuki advances to second and Jai Miller advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 1, Angels 3 Top 8, 1 OutSep 25 5:48 PM
- Vernon Wells two-out, solo Home Run (25) to left center. Peter Bourjos due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 25 5:04 PM
- Bobby Abreu one-out, solo Home Run (8) to right. Torii Hunter due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 2 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 25 4:22 PM
- Torii Hunter walked. Runners on first and second with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Athletics 0, Angels 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 25 3:49 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Sep 25 3:41 PM
- OAKLAND: 6
LOS ANGELES: 5
Sep 25 6:37 AM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22