Royals again use late heroics to down AngelsApr 2, 2011 - 10:55 PM Kansas City, MO (Sports Network) - Matt Treanor and Chris Getz hit RBI singles in the bottom of the eighth, lifting the Royals to a 5-4 victory over the Angels at Kauffman Stadium.
Kansas City scored the decisive runs off Kevin Jepsen (0-1) with two outs in the inning, and grabbed another victory thanks to late heroics. The Royals won Friday's matchup, 2-1, when Kila Ka'aihue led off the bottom of the ninth with a homer.
Getz finished with three hits and two RBI for Kansas City, which will close this season-opening four-game series Sunday. Aaron Crow (1-0) picked up his first career victory by tossing 1 2/3 scoreless relief innings, while Joakim Soria threw a 1-2-3 ninth for his first save of 2011.
"It's been a whirlwind here the first few days here, but it's great to have an opportunity like this," Crow said. "Hopefully I'll stay around a long time and get a lot more (wins)."
Erick Aybar doubled twice and drove in a run for the Angels, who got a homer from Torii Hunter.
Los Angeles starter Ervin Santana limited the Royals to three runs in 6 2/3 innings, helping his team hold the lead after Kansas City's Kyle Davies gave up four runs in 5 1/3.
But the Royals stormed back in the eighth, which Billy Butler began with a base hit. Jeff Francoeur singled to put two on with one out, and Wilson Betemit grounded into a fielder's choice to leave runners on the corners.
Treanor then singled to right to tie the game, and Getz's hit to center plated pinch-runner Jarrod Dyson. It was the second consecutive rough outing for Jepsen, who walked two and gave up a homer in Thursday's game.
"Right now, obviously Kevin's not off to the start that we're looking for, for a guy who's so important to us," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "He needs to get his feet on the ground."
Soria retired Los Angeles' 2-4 hitters -- Howie Kendrick, Bobby Abreu and Hunter -- to end the game.
Hunter blasted a solo shot to left-center in the fourth to open the scoring, and the Royals took a 2-1 edge in the fifth. With the bases loaded and one out, Getz hit an infield single, and Alcides Escobar grounded into a fielder's choice to get another run in.
Back-to-back RBI hits from Vernon Wells and Alberto Callaspo put the Angels back in front in the sixth, and Aybar plated a run later in the inning on a fielder's choice grounder.
The Royals scored a run on a wild pitch in the bottom half, making it a 4-3 game.
Santana allowed seven hits, walked two and struck out six...Davies gave up seven hits, walked two and fanned two...Kendrick and Callaspo both had two hits for LA...Butler, Francoeur and Escobar had two hits each for Kansas City.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
KANSAS CITY: 5
Apr 2 3:55 PM
- Chris Getz singled to center scoring Jarrod Dyson. Runners on first and second with two outs and Alcides Escobar due up.
Angels 4, Royals 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 2 3:50 PM
- Matt Treanor singled to right scoring Billy Butler. Runners on first and second with two outs and Chris Getz due up.
Angels 4, Royals 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 2 3:49 PM
- Jeff Francoeur struck out swinging. On the play, Francoeur advanced to first on a wild pitch. On the play, Ervin Santana's wild pitch scored Billy Butler. Runner on first with two outs and Wilson Betemit due up.
Angels 4, Royals 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 2 2:59 PM
- Erick Aybar grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Vernon Wells. Runner on first with two outs and Bobby Wilson due up.
Angels 4, Royals 2 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 2 2:50 PM
- Alberto Callaspo singled to right scoring Torii Hunter. Runners on first and third with one out and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 3, Royals 2 Top 6, 1 OutApr 2 2:45 PM
- Vernon Wells singled to left scoring Bobby Abreu. Runners on second and third with one out and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 2, Royals 2 Top 6, 1 OutApr 2 2:44 PM
- Alcides Escobar grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Wilson Betemit. Runners on first and third with two outs and Melky Cabrera due up.
Angels 1, Royals 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 2 2:33 PM
- Chris Getz singled to first scoring Jeff Francoeur. Bases loaded with one out and Alcides Escobar due up.
Angels 1, Royals 1 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 2 2:31 PM
- Torii Hunter one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left center. Vernon Wells due up.
Angels 1, Royals 0 Top 4, 1 OutApr 2 1:59 PM
- Maicer Izturis flied out to left. None on with one out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Apr 2 1:11 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22