Cabrera, Hosmer help Royals take down YanksMay 13, 2011 - 7:36 AM
Billy Butler and Alcides Escobar also had two runs batted in for the Royals, who won a series in the Bronx for the first time since 1999. Butler had four hits.
"To come in here and take two out of three was good for us," said Royals manager Ned Yost.
Kansas City starter Sean O'Sullivan (2-2) was perfect through 4 1/3 innings until giving up a Robinson Cano homer in the fifth. He yielded four runs on six hits and two walks in 6 2/3 innings for the win.
Alex Rodriguez also homered for the Yankees, who have dropped six of their last nine games. Starter Ivan Nova (3-3) lasted just three-plus innings, giving up eight runs -- four earned -- and 10 hits for the loss.
While O'Sullivan mowed through the New York lineup, the Royals got all the runs they needed in a six-run second inning.
Hosmer lined the first pitch of the inning over the right field wall for his second homer of the season. Mike Aviles and Jeff Francoeur added RBI singles, Cabrera hit an RBI double, Butler had an RBI ground out and another run scored on catcher Francisco Cervelli's bad pickoff attempt -- one of several fielding errors by the Yankees in the inning.
"We just gave them too many outs. And you can't beat teams when you give them extra outs," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi.
Cabrera, the former Yankee, led off the fourth inning with his fifth homer of the season, hammering a 1-0 pitch over the right field wall. The Royals scored another run on just two more pitches: Alex Gordon doubled and came home on Butler's single to make it 8-0 and chase Nova from the game for reliever Amaury Sanit.
"I can definitely get used to [winning in New York]," said Hosmer. "It's fun when the crowd leaves early and you put up a good amount of runs on them in the first innings."
Despite not registering a strikeout, O'Sullivan retired the first 13 batters he faced until Cano drilled an off-speed pitch into the right field seats with one out in the fifth inning for his ninth homer of the season.
It opened the floodgates, if only for an inning. Nick Swisher followed with a double, Brett Gardner singled and O'Sullivan walked Eduardo Nunez to load the bases. Cervelli hit a two-run double and Derek Jeter lofted a sacrifice fly to right field, pulling the Yankees within 8-4.
Butler singled in the sixth, moved to third base on a wild pitch and Francoeur ground out, then scored on Hosmer's double to make it 9-4.
Kansas City extended its lead to 11-4 on Escobar's two-run double in the eighth. Rodriguez belted his sixth homer of the season in the bottom of the inning for the final margin.
Blake Wood replaced O'Sullivan in the seventh and finished the game, giving up one run and two hits in 2 1/3 innings...The Royals continue their six-game road trip in Detroit this weekend...Cano started despite being drilled in the helmet by a pitch in Wednesday's 11-inning loss...The Yankees will host the Red Sox this weekend.
- KANSAS CITY: 11
NEW YORK: 5
May 12 10:29 PM
- Alex Rodriguez one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Robinson Cano due up.
Royals 11, Yankees 5 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 12 10:04 PM
- Alcides Escobar double to right scored Jeff Francoeur and Wilson Betemit with two out. On the play, Matt Treanor advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Mike Aviles due up.
Royals 11, Yankees 4 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 12 10:00 PM
- Eric Hosmer double to left scored Billy Butler with two out. Runner on second and Wilson Betemit due up.
Royals 9, Yankees 4 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 12 9:10 PM
- Derek Jeter sacrifice fly to right scored Eduardo Nunez with two out. On the play, Francisco Cervelli advanced to third. Runner on third with two outs and Curtis Granderson due up.
Royals 8, Yankees 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 12 9:00 PM
- Francisco Cervelli double to left scored Nick Swisher and Brett Gardner with one out. On the play, Eduardo Nunez advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Derek Jeter due up.
Royals 8, Yankees 3 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 12 8:58 PM
- Nick Swisher doubled to right. Runner on second with one out and Brett Gardner due up.
Royals 8, Yankees 1 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 12 8:49 PM
- Billy Butler single to center scored Alex Gordon with none out. Runner on first and Jeff Francoeur due up.
Royals 8, Yankees 0 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 12 8:15 PM
- Melky Cabrera lead-off Home Run (5) to right center. Alex Gordon due up.
Royals 7, Yankees 0 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 12 8:13 PM
- Eric Hosmer lined out to right to end the inning.
Royals 6, Yankees 0 Mid 2May 12 7:45 PM
- Billy Butler ground out pitcher to first scored Melky Cabrera with two out. On the play, Alex Gordon advanced to second. Runner on second and Jeff Francoeur due up.
Royals 5, Yankees 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 12 7:43 PM
- Melky Cabrera advanced to third and Mike Aviles scored on Francisco Cervelli's throwing error. Runner on third with one out and Alex Gordon at the plate.
Royals 4, Yankees 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 12 7:41 PM
- Melky Cabrera double to left scored Matt Treanor with one out. On the play, Mike Aviles advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Alex Gordon due up.
Royals 3, Yankees 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 12 7:38 PM
- Mike Aviles single to third scored Wilson Betemit with one out. On the play, Matt Treanor advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Melky Cabrera due up.
Royals 2, Yankees 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 12 7:36 PM
- Eric Hosmer lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Wilson Betemit due up.
Royals 1, Yankees 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 12 7:27 PM
- KANSAS CITY: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 12 7:09 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21