Tampa Bay rallies in last at-bat to stun RoyalsAug 11, 2011 - 6:13 AM
After scoring three runs already in the ninth to get within one, 7-6, Fuld stepped to the plate with a man on first and two outs. Fuld crushed Joakim Soria's offering to the gap in right-center field to score the tying run. Second baseman Giavotella took the cut off throw and went to third. The ball bounced towards the stands while Fuld got up from his slide and sprinted home. Fuld beat the throw home for the dramatic victory.
Matt Joyce hit a solo homer and scored twice for the Rays, who have won the first three of this four-game series. Casey Kotchman knocked in two runs.
Tampa Bay starter Wade Davis allowed four runs on six hits over 6 1/3 innings. Jake McGee (1-1) picked up his first win in the majors despite giving up two runs in the ninth.
Melky Cabrera hit a three-run homer and drove in five for the Royals, who have lost five of six.
Giavotella and catcher Salvador Perez both had an RBI and scored a run. Perez went 1-for-3 in his MLB debut.
Royals starter Felipe Paulino gave up one run on three hits over five innings. Soria (5-5) was charged with three runs -- two earned -- on three hits to take the loss.
Kansas City seemed to have the game in control after Cabrera hit a three-run homer off McGee in the top of the ninth. With Alcides Escobar and Alex Gordon on base with two outs, Cabrera went deep to left for a 7-3 lead.
The Rays started their comeback off Aaron Crow. Joyce and Johnny Damon started the home ninth with back-to-back singles to put men on first and second. Soria entered the game and was greeted by Evan Longoria's RBI double to left-center field. Damon crossed the plate on Ben Zobrist's groundout. Kotchman followed with a sharp grounder to second. Giavotella stopped the ball with his backhand, but Kotchman beat the throw to first. A run scored on the infield single to cut the gap to 7-6.
After B.J. Upton struck out swinging, Fuld stepped to the plate and won the game.
"To be able to come back like that is an outstanding testament to this group of people," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.
The Royals broke a scoreless tie in the fourth. Jeff Francoeur hit a one-out double to center and scored on Giavotella's triple to right-center field. Perez followed with a sacrifice fly to make it 2-0.
Kansas City tacked on another run in the fifth. Escobar led off with a double to left, moved to third on Gordon's flyout and crossed the plate on Cabrera's sacrifice fly.
Joyce's solo homer to right in the home fifth cut the gap to 3-1.
Tampa Bay scored again in the sixth to make things interesting. Tim Collins started the inning on the mound. Zobrist led off with a single, moved to second on a wild pitch and scored on Kotchman's base hit up the middle. Fuld walked to put men on first and second. Louis Coleman came in from the bullpen and walked Sean Rodriguez to load the bases with two outs. Joyce fouled out to keep it a 3-2 contest.
The Royals added a run in the seventh to go back up by two. Perez picked up his first career hit with a leadoff single to center. Escobar walked two batters later to put men on first and second with one out. J.P. Howell relieved Davis and walked Gordon to load the bases. Cabrera's sacrifice fly made it a 4-2 game.
"He was spectacular," Royals manager Ned Yost said of Perez. "We know he can catch a pop-up, we know he can pick guys off. He picked a guy off first, a guy off third and almost a guy off second. So, he had a great debut."
The Rays kept the back-and-forth battle going with a run in the eighth. With one down, Greg Holland walked Upton and gave up a single to Fuld. Pinch- hitter Desmond Jennings followed with an RBI single to right. Fuld was picked off at third and Rodriguez struck out swinging to keep it 4-3.
The Rays have taken four of six from the Royals this season...KC placed catcher Brayan Pena on the paternity leave list on Wednesday. To take his spot on the 25-man roster, the team selected the contract of Perez from Triple-A Omaha. The Royals also released pitcher Kyle Davies...The Rays placed outfielder Justin Ruggiano on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday with left knee bursitis. To fill the roster spot, Tampa Bay recalled shortstop Reid Brignac from Triple-A Durham.
- KANSAS CITY: 7
TAMPA BAY: 8
Aug 10 10:36 PM
- Sam Fuld triple to right center scored Elliot Johnson with two out. On the play, Sam Fuld scored on Johnny Giavotella's throwing error to end the game.
Royals 7, Rays 8 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 10 10:36 PM
- Casey Kotchman single to second scored Evan Longoria with one out. Runner on first and B.J. Upton due up.
Royals 7, Rays 6 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 10 10:29 PM
- Ben Zobrist ground out second to first scored Johnny Damon with one out. On the play, Evan Longoria advances to third. Runner on third and Casey Kotchman due up.
Royals 7, Rays 5 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 10 10:27 PM
- Evan Longoria double to center scored Matt Joyce with none out. On the play, Johnny Damon advances to third. Runners on second and third with Ben Zobrist due up.
Royals 7, Rays 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 10 10:27 PM
- Matt Joyce singled to right. Runner on first with none out and Johnny Damon due up.
Royals 7, Rays 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 10 10:20 PM
- Sam Fuld picked off at third, catcher to third. Runner on second with two outs and Sean Rodriguez at the plate.
Royals 4, Rays 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 10 9:55 PM
- Greg Holland starts the inning for the Royals.
Royals 4, Rays 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 10 9:43 PM
- Casey Kotchman single to center scored Ben Zobrist with none out. Runner on first and B.J. Upton due up.
Royals 3, Rays 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 10 8:52 PM
- Evan Longoria struck out looking to end the inning.
Royals 3, Rays 1 End 5Aug 10 8:41 PM
- Melky Cabrera sacrifice fly to right scored Alcides Escobar two out. None on and Billy Butler due up.
Royals 3, Rays 0 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 10 8:33 PM
- Casey Kotchman picked off at first, catcher to first. Runner on second with one out and B.J. Upton at the plate.
Royals 2, Rays 0 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 10 8:24 PM
- KANSAS CITY: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 10 7:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21