Marlins spoil Houston's home openerApr 9, 2011 - 4:11 AM
Coghlan knocked in two runs, while Logan Morrison added three hits and an RBI for the Marlins, who have won three of four and overcame the loss of shortstop Hanley Ramirez to a left-leg contusion.
Nolasco (1-0) allowed eight hits and two runs with two strikeouts and Leo Nunez worked around a Brett Wallace homer in the bottom of the ninth to pick up his second save.
"You know, we did a good job of battling for the whole game. Our hitters were having a tough time early on but they hung in there. It was an amazing job by this team to pick up runs late in the game."
Wallace went 3-for-4 and scored twice for the Astros, who couldn't come up with a victory in their home opener.
Wilton Lopez (0-1) took the loss and blown save, charged with two runs and four hits in the eighth inning.
Wallace doubled with one down in the seventh and Chris Johnson singled him home for a 2-1 Houston edge. After Bill Hall singled, his takeout slide at second on a J.R. Towles grounder caused Ramirez to writhe on the ground in pain for several minutes before being escorted from the game by team personnel.
The Marlins later said Ramirez was day-to-day.
It fired up the visitors, who forged ahead in the eighth on Morrison's RBI double and Donnie Murphy's run-producing infield single.
Coghlan's two-out solo blast in the ninth gave the Fish a two-run edge, but Wallace greeted Nunez with a homer to make it 4-3. Johnson lined out then Hall fanned, but Towles singled. Jason Bourgeois, pinch-running for Towles, was caught stealing second to end the game.
Towles' leadoff homer in the third put the Astros on the board, and the Marlins finally countered in the seventh on Coghlan's fielder's choice RBI.
"Ultimately it comes down to us not getting the job done when we had the opportunities," said Houston outfielder Hunter Pence.
Florida has taken four of the last seven meetings with Houston...Towles went 3-for-4...Gaby Sanchez collected three hits and scored once for the Marlins.
- FLORIDA: 4
Apr 8 9:52 PM
- Brett Wallace lead-off Home Run (1) to left center. Chris Johnson due up.
Marlins 4, Astros 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsApr 8 9:43 PM
- Chris Coghlan two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Omar Infante due up.
Marlins 4, Astros 2 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 8 9:35 PM
- Donnie Murphy infield single to short scored Gaby Sanchez with one out. Runners on first and third and Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Marlins 3, Astros 2 Top 8, 1 OutApr 8 9:16 PM
- Chris Johnson singled to left scored Brett Wallace with one out. Runner on first and Bill Hall due up.
Marlins 1, Astros 2 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 8 8:58 PM
- Chris Coghlan grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Brett Hayes with two outs. Runner on first and Omar Infante due up.
Marlins 1, Astros 1 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 8 8:49 PM
- Michael Bourn grounded out second to first. None on with two outs and Angel Sanchez due up.
Marlins 0, Astros 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 8 7:50 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 8 7:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21