Pence helps Astros edge JaysMay 22, 2011 - 8:31 PM
Brett Wallace knocked in the other run for the Astros, who won their first series since April 29-May 1 when they took two of three from Milwaukee.
Wandy Rodriguez (3-3) earned the win in six innings of work, allowing two runs on six hits and three walks while fanning six in Houston's fourth win in eleven games.
Kyle Drabek (3-3) went six innings and allowed three runs on eight hits and three walks while striking out three in Toronto's third loss in five games.
Wallace hit an RBI single in the third to score Pence and give Houston a 1-0 lead.
Juan Rivera then tied the game in the bottom half of the inning with a solo- shot to left.
Houston took the lead back for good in the fifth on a two-run homer by Pence. Angel Sanchez singled before Pence sent a ball into the bleachers in left- center field.
Toronto got within a run in the sixth when J.P. Arenciba led off the inning with a home run, but that would be the end of their offensive output.
The Blue Jays would threaten in the ninth, though, when Mark Melancon entered to pitch for Houston. He got two quick outs before allowing an infield single to Yunel Escobar and a double to Corey Patterson. Jose Bautista was then intentionally walked to load the bases, but Aaron Hill grounded out to end the game and give Melancon his third save.
With Bautista's intentional walk in the ninth, he has now reached base safely in 36 of his 38 games this year...Toronto fell to 7-3 in games Drabek has started this season...The teams combined to go 2-for-20 with runners in scoring position and left a combined 20 men on base.
- HOUSTON: 3
May 22 4:03 PM
- J.P. Arencibia lead-off Home Run (8) to left-center. Rajai Davis is due up.
Astros 3, Blue Jays 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 22 2:51 PM
- Hunter Pence one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left-center scored Angel Sanchez. Carlos Lee is due up.
Astros 3, Blue Jays 1 Top 5, 1 OutMay 22 2:29 PM
- Rajai Davis walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Astros 1, Blue Jays 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 22 2:15 PM
- Brett Wallace singled to center scoring Hunter Pence. On the play, Carlos Lee advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Chris Johnson due up.
Astros 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 22 2:03 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 22 1:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Blue Jays-Twins Preview May 21