Myers shuts down DodgersJun 18, 2011 - 7:20 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Brett Myers went the distance, leading the Houston Astros to a 7-3 drubbing of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Myers (3-6) gave up only four hits in his nine innings of work, striking out six and walking one.
"It was a little rough early," Myers said. "They were aggressive, but I was able to hit my spots. I've thrown some shutouts, so this was not the best game I've ever pitched."
Myers retired 17 batters in a row until James Loney's one-out single in the seventh. Juan Uribe followed with a double-play grounder.
Clint Barmes smacked a pair of doubles and collected two RBI, while Carlos Lee went 3-for-5 with an RBI for Houston, which snapped a three-game skid and posted just its second win in nine contests.
Andre Ethier blasted a two-run home run while Loney had two of the four Dodger hits. Aaron Miles added the other in LA's fourth straight loss.
Ted Lilly (5-6) lasted only 5 1/3 innings, as he gave up eight hits and was charged with five earned runs.
Dee Gordon worked a walk and Miles slapped a single to left to put the first two runners of the inning on base for LA in its first at-bat. Gordon advanced to third on Ethier's fielder's choice and scored on a sacrifice fly by Matt Kemp to give the Dodgers an early 1-0 lead.
Houston came back to knot the score at one in the fourth. Lee hit a one-out single to right, stole second and was chased home on a double to left by Chris Johnson.
The Astros broke the game open with five runs in the sixth. Jeff Keppinger stroked a ground-rule double to left and scored on a single to center by Lee.
The inning continued with a single by Johnson and a walk to Brett Wallace to load the bases with one out. Barmes followed with a double to right, scoring both Lee and Johnson. After the Dodgers elected to intentionally walk Carlos Corporan to load the bases a second time, Jason Bourgeois made the Dodgers pay by poking a single to second, which enabled two more runs to come home on a throwing error by Miles. The second baseman picked the ground ball cleanly but hurried his throw to second, causing it to be offline.
Houston added another run in the eighth on a wild pitch by Dodgers' reliever Blake Hawksworth that scored Wallace. Wallace walked to start the inning and advanced to third on a double by Barmes before coming home on Hawksworth's wild pitch.
Los Angeles got two runs back in the ninth on Ethier's two-run home run, his sixth of the season.
Dodgers manager Don Mattingly noted his team's lack of patience at the plate, as Myers got through the game throwing 98 pitches.
"To be at 80 pitches after eight innings, you've got to have a little more than that," Mattingly said.
Myers faced the Dodgers for the first time since 2008, when he was a member of the Philadelphia Phillies...Houston is 6-9 against NL West opponents, while LA is 10-15 against the NL Central...The win for Myers gives him 90 in his major league career...Myers' last complete game came on July 27th, 2010 against the Chicago Cubs...This was Lilly's 300th career start.
- HOUSTON: 7
LOS ANGELES: 3
Jun 18 12:50 AM
- Andre Ethier one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to center scored Dee Gordon. Matt Kemp due up.
Astros 7, Dodgers 3 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 18 12:46 AM
- Clint Barmes advanced to third and Brett Wallace scored on a wild pitch. Runner on third with none out and Carlos Corporan at the plate.
Astros 7, Dodgers 1 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 18 12:18 AM
- Jason Bourgeois single to second scored Brett Wallace and Clint Barmes with two out. On the play, Carlos Corporan advanced to second on Aaron Miles' throwing error. Runners on first and second and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Astros 6, Dodgers 1 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 17 11:46 PM
- Clint Barmes double to right scored Carlos Lee and Chris Johnson with one out. On the play, Brett Wallace advanced to third. Runners on second and third and Carlos Corporan due up.
Astros 4, Dodgers 1 Top 6, 1 OutJun 17 11:36 PM
- Chris Johnson singled to left. On the play, Carlos Lee advanced to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 2, Dodgers 1 Top 6, 1 OutJun 17 11:31 PM
- Chris Johnson double to left scored Carlos Lee with one out. Runner on second and Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 1, Dodgers 1 Top 4, 1 OutJun 17 10:57 PM
- Matt Kemp sacrifice fly to center scored Dee Gordon with two out. Runner on first and James Loney due up.
Astros 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 17 10:21 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 17 10:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22