Rodriguez, Astros shut down reeling DodgersJun 19, 2011 - 5:51 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Wandy Rodriguez worked six scoreless innings and Chris Johnson went 2-for-4 with an RBI double to send the Houston Astros to a 7-0 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the middle tilt of a three-game set at Dodger Stadium.
Rodriguez (5-3) scattered seven hits and issued one walk while fanning six to win his third straight decision.
"I felt very good, I used everything tonight," Rodriguez said. "Winning these two games, we're feeling better as a team."
Jeff Keppinger went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBIs for the Astros, who have won the first two in the series.
Rubby De La Rosa (3-1) worked 4 2/3 innings in defeat, charged with six hits and five runs for the Dodgers, who have lost five in a row and eight of their past 10 contests.
Andre Ethier collected two hits including a double, and Dee Gordon hit safely twice to up his average to .326.
The game remained scoreless until Houston broke it open in the fifth, striking for five runs.
Two singles and a walk loaded the bases, followed by two quick outs. Michael Bourn worked a base on balls to force in the first run, and the second came courtesy of a Jason Bourgeois infield single. The big strike came from Keppinger, who slapped a two-run single into the right-center field gap.
De La Rosa then re-loaded the bases by walking Carlos Lee, and prompted his exit. Mike MacDougal came in and fired a wild pitch to plate Houston's fifth and final run of the burst.
"Rubby was pretty good tonight, he looks like he could be special, this is just a step along the way," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said of his starter. "In the fifth, everything steamrolled on us. We have to turn the page, we can't feel sorry for ourselves."
Houston added two runs in the eighth on an RBI double down the left-field line by Johnson and an RBI single by Carlos Corporan, to increase the lead to 7-0.
The Dodgers threatened in the eighth, putting two runners on with no outs against Astros reliever Wilton Lopez. Juan Uribe grounded into a double play, leaving LA with a man at third and two down, but Marcus Thames grounded weakly to second to end the inning.
Fernando Rodriguez tossed a perfect ninth to seal the win.
Los Angeles threatened in its first at-bat, putting runners on first and second with two outs after Ethier doubled and Matt Kemp was intentionally walked. Rodriguez recovered to induce a fly out from Juan Uribe.
The Dodgers were blanked for the seventh time this season, and fifth time at home...The teams met for the second time this season. In the previous series, the Astros took two of three from LA at Houston from May 23-25...The Astros improved to 7-9 against the NL West while the Dodgers fell to 10-16 against the Central...Dodgers' catcher Rod Barajas left the game in the fifth inning...This is the third time Houston has kept an opponent off the scoreboard...The last time the Dodgers collected 10 hits and were shutout was September 29, 1971, against the Astros.
- HOUSTON: 7
LOS ANGELES: 0
Jun 19 1:01 AM
- Carlos Corporan singled to right scored Chris Johnson. Runner on first with two outs and Fernando Abad due up.
Astros 7, Dodgers 0 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 19 12:46 AM
- Chris Johnson doubled to left scored Carlos Lee. Runner on second with one out and Clint Barmes due up.
Astros 6, Dodgers 0 Top 8, 1 OutJun 19 12:46 AM
- Mike MacDougal wild pitch scored Jason Bourgeois, Carlos Lee advances to second, Jeff Keppinger advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Brett Wallace at the plate.
Astros 5, Dodgers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 18 11:39 PM
- Jeff Keppinger singled to right center scored Clint Barmes and Michael Bourn. On the play, Jason Bourgeois advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Carlos Lee due up.
Astros 4, Dodgers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 18 11:30 PM
- Jason Bourgeois reached first on Casey Blake's fielding error scored Chris Johnson. On the play, Michael Bourn advances to second and Clint Barmes advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Astros 2, Dodgers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 18 11:29 PM
- Michael Bourn's two-out, bases loaded walk scored Brett Wallace. Bases loaded with two outs and Jason Bourgeois due up.
Astros 1, Dodgers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 18 11:27 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 18 10:12 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22