Red Sox rout AstrosJul 3, 2011 - 3:57 AM
Adrian Gonzalez, Kevin Youkilis and Dustin Pedroia all collected three hits and drove in a run apiece for the Red Sox, winners of three straight games.
Yamaico Navarro's first hit of the season was his first career home run, while David Ortiz and Jarrod Saltalamacchia also knocked in runs for Boston.
Andrew Miller (2-0) worked six innings for the win, giving up seven hits, two runs and two walks with three strikeouts.
"I felt like I normally do for any start," Miller said. "I just tried to go out there and throw a lot of strikes, hope a lot of pitches don't get put into play, and know that the guys will put up runs to help me -- which they did today."
Hunter Pence finished 3-for-4 with a home run and two RBI for the Astros, who have dropped 10 of their last 12. Michael Bourn tied a career high with four hits and scored pair of runs in the loss.
J.A. Happ (3-10) lasted 6 2/3 frames in defeat and was touched for seven hits and five runs while walking three and fanning as many batters.
A four-run eighth inning provided key separation for the visitors against Fernando Abad.
Three straight singles -- from Gonzalez, Youkilis and Josh Reddick -- loaded the bases before Saltalamacchia's sac fly to left plated a run and McDonald followed with a three-run blast inside the left-field pole to make it 9-3.
Youkilis put the BoSox in double digits with a ninth-inning single to bring in Gonzalez, who doubled in the previous at-bat. Matt Downs singled in Bourn during the Houston ninth but it wasn't nearly enough.
"Well, it's a process. We've got a very young team that's just grinding it out right now," Pence said of his Astros, who fell to an MLB-worst 29-55. "They have to enjoy the opportunity to grow and learn every day, and think of it as one day closer to turning it all around."
The Sox dented Happ for three runs in the first, on a Gonzalez RBI single, an Ortiz walk with the bases loaded and a double-play grounder from Saltalamacchia. The Astros countered in the home portion when Bourn led off with a triple and scored on an Angel Sanchez base hit.
In the fifth, Jacoby Ellsbury doubled inside the first-base bag and scored when Pedroia followed with a double for a 4-1 Sox edge, but Pence hit a solo shot to left to start the sixth.
Navarro followed with a pinch-hit solo homer to left-center for a 5-2 Boston lead in the seventh, and the visitors dodged a bullet in the bottom half as Pence's bases-loaded, two-out walk was the lone damage against a shaky Alfredo Aceves and a steadier Daniel Bard.
Boston has beaten Houston in six of the last eight matchups since June, 2003...The last Red Sox player to hit his first career homer in a pinch-hit situation was Juan Diaz on June 23, 2002...Bourn extended his hit streak to 11 games...After managing only 15 runs in seven games from June 21-29, the Red Sox have exploded for 22 runs during their current win streak.
- BOSTON: 10
Jul 2 10:11 PM
- Matt Downs advances to second on defensive indifference. Runner on second with two outs and Hunter Pence at the plate.
Red Sox 10, Astros 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 2 10:10 PM
- Kevin Youkilis singled to left scored Adrian Gonzalez. Runner on first with two outs and Josh Reddick due up.
Red Sox 10, Astros 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 2 9:55 PM
- Darnell McDonald one-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Kevin Youkilis and Josh Reddick. Marco Scutaro due up.
Red Sox 9, Astros 3 Top 8, 1 OutJul 2 9:37 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia sacrifice fly out to left scored Adrian Gonzalez. On the play, Josh Reddick advances to second and Kevin Youkilis advances to third. Runners on second and third and with one out and Darnell McDonald due up.
Red Sox 6, Astros 3 Top 8, 1 OutJul 2 9:35 PM
- Hunter Pence walk scored Jeff Keppinger on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Carlos Lee due up.
Red Sox 5, Astros 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 2 9:23 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Yamaico Navarro one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 5, Astros 2 Top 7, 1 OutJul 2 8:56 PM
- Carlos Lee singled to left. Runner on first with none out and Jason Michaels due up.
Red Sox 4, Astros 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 2 8:52 PM
- Dustin Pedroia doubled to left scored Jacoby Ellsbury. Runner on second with one out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 4, Astros 1 Top 5, 1 OutJul 2 8:28 PM
- Jason Michaels grounded into a double play, short to second to first to end the inning.
Red Sox 3, Astros 1 End 1Jul 2 7:32 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia grounded into a double play, third to second to first, scored Adrian Gonzalez. David Ortiz out at second. Kevin Youkilis advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Darnell McDonald due up.
Red Sox 3, Astros 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 2 7:20 PM
- David Ortiz walk scored Dustin Pedroia on the play. Bases loaded with none out and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Red Sox 2, Astros 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 2 7:16 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to right scored Jacoby Ellsbury. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 1, Astros 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 2 7:11 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 2 7:05 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21