Marlins complete sweep of AstrosJul 10, 2011 - 10:55 PM
"I keep pushing and trying to make something happen for these guys," said Cameron, who completed his first week with the Marlins after being acquired from Boston. "They've been playing well, so when you're struggling it takes a while to figure out what you're gonna do. Next thing you know, you're rolling with a bit of confidence out there."
Emilio Bonifacio collected three hits and scored twice, while Omar Infante added an RBI for the Marlins, who swept the series and hit the All-Star break having won five straight games.
Chris Volstad (5-8) tossed six innings for the win, allowing seven hits and three runs with six strikeouts. Leo Nunez hurled a scoreless ninth for his 25th save.
Brent Wallace ended with two hits and two RBI for the Astros, who completed the opening portion of their season with an MLB-worst 30-62 mark after dropping their ninth game in 10. Hunter Pence added a solo homer in defeat.
Wandy Rodriguez (6-6) was charged in the loss for five hits and five runs over 5 1/3 frames.
Carlos Corporan's RBI double in the fourth restored the Astros' two-run edge at 3-1, but Florida forged ahead for good in the home half. Mike Stanton worked a leadoff walk and Cameron clubbed a two-run shot for a 3-3 game.
Later in the frame, with runners on the corners, Infante's fly to center scored the go-ahead run and a Sanchez double plated Bonifacio to make it 5-3 for Florida.
The Astros failed to make headway in the seventh against four Marlins relievers despite having runners on the corners with one out, but Pence's leadoff shot in the eighth cut the visitors' deficit to a single run.
Nunez held down the fort in the ninth, retiring the side in order.
Houston dented Volstad for a pair of two-out runs in the opening frame. Pence and Matt Downs hit consecutive singles and Wallace plated both with a double.
Bonifacio singled to start the third, moved to third on a stolen base and wild pitch, then came home on a Sanchez groundout.
"It's just something that not a lot of us have had to confront before," said Astros infielder Chris Johnson of Houston's dismal first half. "Personally, this is new and we're all going to have to make adjustments and learn how to get out of it."
Florida won the season series, 6-1...Cameron's home run was his first since the Marlins acquired him on July 5...Florida shortstop Hanley Ramirez finished hitless with two walks, and remained stuck on 998 career hits...Bonifacio extended his hit streak to a career-best 12 games...Houston hadn't suffered a four-game sweep since May of 2007.
- HOUSTON: 4
Jul 10 3:54 PM
- Mark Melancon starts the inning for the Astros.
Astros 4, Marlins 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 10 3:42 PM
- Gaby Sanchez double to left scored Emilio Bonifacio with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Astros 3, Marlins 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 10 2:31 PM
- Omar Infante sacrifice fly to center scored John Buck with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Astros 3, Marlins 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 10 2:29 PM
- Mike Cameron none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Mike Stanton. John Buck due up.
Astros 3, Marlins 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 10 2:20 PM
- Carlos Corporan double to right scored Brett Wallace with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Wandy Rodriguez due up.
Astros 3, Marlins 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 10 2:13 PM
- Gaby Sanchez groundout to third scored Emilio Bonifacio with two out. None on with two outs and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Astros 2, Marlins 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 10 2:02 PM
- Brett Wallace double to left scored Hunter Pence and Matt Downs with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Chris Johnson due up.
Astros 2, Marlins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 10 1:17 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 10 1:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21