Bumgarner, Giants edge AstrosAug 27, 2011 - 7:43 AM
Bumgarner (8-12) pitched 6 1/3 innings, allowing one run on five hits and three walks. Ramon Ramirez stranded a pair in the seventh and pitched a perfect eighth before Santiago Casilla finished off the win in the ninth for his second save.
"[Bumgarner] gave us a quality start. ... We only scored two runs, so he gave us exactly what we needed," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
The win was San Francisco's third in five games, though the club still trails the NL West-leading Diamondbacks by three games.
J.A. Happ (4-15) was the hard-luck loser, surrendering two runs -- one earned -- on four hits and four walks over six frames.
Happ was making his first big-league start since August 5 after a brief stint in the minors.
The lefty held the Giants off the board until the fifth, which started with Chris Stewart reaching safely on Clint Barmes' error. After a sacrifice bunt and a walk, Keppinger laced a line drive into the left-field gap, scoring Stewart and Orlando Cabrera with ease.
Bumgarner was equally stingy before plunking Matt Downs to start the seventh and allowing a Jose Altuve single. Stewart threw the ball into center field trying to pick off Downs to move both runners up a base, and Barmes grounded out to third to bring in Houston's only run.
The Giants went to the bullpen after an Humberto Quintero single put runners on the corners. Ramirez came in and struck out pinch-hitter Brian Bogusevic and got Jordan Schafer to bounce into an inning-ending grounder.
San Fran held on from there, avenging a 3-1 loss in the series opener.
The Giants are 30-19 in one-run games...San Francisco was outhit, 5-4, and improved to 5-44 on such occasions...The Astros did not record an extra-base hit...Game time: 2:28.
- HOUSTON: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Aug 27 12:43 AM
- Clint Barmes ground out third to first scored Matt Downs with one out. Runner on second and Humberto Quintero due up.
Astros 1, Giants 2 Top 7, 1 OutAug 26 11:59 PM
- Jeff Keppinger double to center scored Chris Stewart and Orlando Cabrera with one out. Runner on second and Carlos Beltran due up.
Astros 0, Giants 2 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 26 11:38 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 26 10:46 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21