Astros down Giants in extrasAug 29, 2011 - 5:09 AM
Mark Melancon blew a chance to finish off the win in the bottom of the 10th, and rookie David Carpenter plunked the leadoff hitter in the 11th before retiring three straight to earn his first career save.
Aubrey Huff went 2-for-4 and drove in a run for the Giants, who were trying to win three in a row for the first time since July 17-19.
San Francisco fell four games behind NL West-leading Arizona.
"Plenty of games left. We're not even in September yet," said Giants second baseman Jeff Keppinger. "We just got to keep battling."
Jason Michaels doubled in Jimmy Paredes as a pinch-hitter in the 10th to break a 2-2 tie, but Melancon couldn't hold the lead in the bottom half.
Andres Torres, fresh off the disabled list, singled with one out, stole second and scored on Mark DeRosa's single to right.
DeRosa was thrown out trying to get into scoring position, and Giants manager Bruce Bochy was ejected by second base umpire Dan Bellino after arguing DeRosa got back to the bag before the tag was applied. The call proved pivotal because Carlos Beltran followed with another base hit.
Melancon (7-4) eventually stranded Beltran on second, and Houston regained the lead in its next turn when Downs trailed Jose Altuve's one-out double with a run-scoring single to center off Ramon Ramirez (2-3).
Carpenter recovered from a hit-batsman in the home half to finish off Houston's 2-5 road trip.
Neither starter factored in the decision despite only giving up two runs apiece. Houston's Bud Norris struck out 10 in seven innings of three-hit ball, while Matt Cain scattered five hits and a walk in eight frames.
"[Norris] didn't want to come out of the game. That's how good he was throwing," said Houston manager Brad Mills.
Houston opened the scoring in the fourth as J.D. Martinez's sacrifice fly plated Jordan Schafer.
Norris was cruising until a one-out walk and single gave the Giants life in the seventh. Huff knocked in Pablo Sandoval with a single directly down the right-field line, and Brandon Belt raced in with the go-ahead run on Orlando Cabrera's sac fly.
Cain was trying to get through the eighth with runners on first and second and two outs, but Schafer singled to right to bring in Paredes for a 2-2 game.
San Francisco has not won a home series since taking two of three from the Brewers from July 22-24...The Giants were out-hit in all four games of the series...Astros first baseman Carlos Lee went 3-for-4 but twisted his ankle sliding into second in the ninth inning. He was pulled for a pinch-runner... Torres (leg) and Giants reliever Sergio Romo (elbow) both came off the DL before the game. Romo gave up a hit and struck out two in the ninth.
- HOUSTON: 4
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Aug 28 7:31 PM
- Matt Downs singled to center scored Jose Altuve with one out. On the play, Matt Downs was tagged out advancing to second. None on with two outs and Brian Bogusevic due up.
Astros 4, Giants 3 Top 11, 2 OutsAug 28 7:22 PM
- Mark DeRosa singled to right scored Andres Torres with one out. On the play, Mark DeRosa was tagged out at second from right to short. None on with two outs and Carlos Beltran due up.
Astros 3, Giants 3 Bot 10, 2 OutsAug 28 7:09 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jason Michaels doubled to center scored Jimmy Paredes with one out. Runner on second and Jordan Schafer due up.
Astros 3, Giants 2 Top 10, 1 OutAug 28 6:51 PM
- Jordan Schafer singled to right scored Jimmy Paredes with two out. On the play, Carlos Corporan advances to third. Runners on first and third with Angel Sanchez due up.
Astros 2, Giants 2 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 28 6:05 PM
- Orlando Cabrera sacrifice fly out to right scored Brandon Belt with two out. Runner on first and Eli Whiteside due up.
Astros 1, Giants 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 28 5:47 PM
- Aubrey Huff singled to right scored Pablo Sandoval with one out. On the play, Brandon Belt advances to third. Runners on first and third with Orlando Cabrera due up.
Astros 1, Giants 1 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 28 5:46 PM
- J.D. Martinez sacrifice fly out to center scored Jordan Schafer with two out. None on and Carlos Lee due up.
Astros 1, Giants 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 28 4:50 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 28 4:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21