Astros take down NationalsSep 11, 2011 - 4:22 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Carlos Corporan drove in three runs as the Houston Astros downed the Washington Nationals, 9-3, in the second of a three- game series.
Jason Bourgeois went 3-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored while Chris Johnson and Angel Sanchez each scored twice for the Astros, who had lost six of seven coming into Saturday's action. Wandy Rodriguez (11-10) gave up three runs on seven hits over six innings to get the win.
"You could see his mound presence. He had a lot of confidence," said Astros manager Brad Mills.
Chris Marrero drove in a pair of runs for the Nationals, who have lost three of four. John Lannan (9-12) was tagged for six runs -- four earned -- on eight hits in just 2 1/3 innings.
"He just didn't have any location. I didn't like the pitch selection, I didn't like his location" said Nationals manager Davey Johnson. "It was just one of those days."
A six-run third inning helped Houston take control of the game. With Jordan Schafer on third, Bourgeois singled and the Astros followed with three consecutive base hits to score two more runs.
Later, with the bases loaded, Jose Altuve hit a chopper to the left of the mound that Lannan fielded cleanly, but his throw to the plate went wide and two runners scored. Corporan then laid down a bunt single to plate another run for a 6-0 lead.
Marrero hit a two-run single in the fourth to get Washington back into the contest, but Corporan answered with a sac fly in the fifth and Rodriguez helped his cause with a double for an 8-2 advantage.
Michael Morse hit a solo home run in the sixth for the Nationals, and the Astros added a run in the ninth, when Corporan singled to plate Chris Johnson.
David Carpenter worked a scoreless ninth to close out the win.
Houston has won three of the five games this season against Washington...Lannan is 1-5 over his past six starts. He fell to 3-3 in seven games against the Astros...Rodriguez improved to 5-1 in nine career starts against the Nationals...Washington batted just 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranded eight.
- HOUSTON: 9
Sep 10 10:18 PM
- Carlos Corporan single to second scored Chris Johnson with two out. On the play, Angel Sanchez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Juan Abreu due up.
Astros 9, Nationals 3 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 10 10:04 PM
- Michael Morse one-out, solo Home Run (27) to right. Jonny Gomes due up.
Astros 8, Nationals 3 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 10 8:57 PM
- Wandy Rodriguez double to right scored Jose Altuve with two out. Runner on second and Jordan Schafer due up.
Astros 8, Nationals 2 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 10 8:38 PM
- Carlos Corporan sacrifice fly to center scored Angel Sanchez with two out. Runner on first and Wandy Rodriguez due up.
Astros 7, Nationals 2 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 10 8:37 PM
- Chris Marrero singled to center scoring Ryan Zimmerman and Michael Morse with two out. Runner on first and Jesus Flores due up.
Astros 6, Nationals 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 10 8:26 PM
- Carlos Corporan reached first on a bunt single to second scoring Angel Sanchez with one out. On the play, Jose Altuve advances to second. Runners on first and second and Wandy Rodriguez due up.
Astros 6, Nationals 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 10 7:55 PM
- Jose Altuve reached first on John Lannan's throwing error scoring Carlos Lee and Chris Johnson with one out. On the play, Angel Sanchez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Carlos Corporan due up.
Astros 5, Nationals 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 10 7:54 PM
- Angel Sanchez singled to left. On the play, Chris Johnson advances to second and Carlos Lee advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 3, Nationals 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 10 7:50 PM
- Carlos Lee singled to center scoring Jason Bourgeois with one out. On the play, J.D. Martinez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Johnson due up.
Astros 2, Nationals 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 10 7:48 PM
- Jason Bourgeois singled to left scoring Jordan Schafer with one out. Runner on first and J.D. Martinez due up.
Astros 1, Nationals 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 10 7:44 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 10 7:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21