Astros send Rockies to eighth straight lossSep 23, 2011 - 5:37 AM
Carlos Lee went 1-for-2 with four RBI and a run scored while Jose Altuve scored twice for the Astros, who had lost five of seven coming in. Henry Sosa (3-5) gave up three runs on nine hits with a walk and four strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings to snap a three-start losing streak.
"He gave up a lot of hits, but he was able to keep them from putting up a big inning," said Houston manager Brad Mills about Sosa. "He's done a really good job for us this entire year."
Wilin Rosario hit a three-run home run while Kevin Kouzmanoff went 3-for-4 with a solo home run, two RBI and two runs scored for the Rockies, who have lost their last eight games. Alex White (2-3) dropped his second straight start as he was tagged for five runs on six hits over just 4 2/3 innings.
"Alex wasn't real sharp," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "His command tonight was very erratic. He was spraying a lot of pitches tonight."
Houston held a 5-3 lead heading into the bottom of the seventh and were able to add to that as Downs came on with the bases loaded and roped a pitch to left-center for an 8-3 advantage.
The runs were needed as Rosario hit his third home run of his career with two men on in the eighth to make it an 8-6 game.
The Astros padded their advantage in the eighth on a Jordan Schafer sac fly while Mark Melancon pitched a 1-2-3 ninth for his 20th save of the season.
Kouzmanoff plated a run in the second on a groundout, but Clint Barmes tied the contest in the bottom of the frame on an RBI double.
Dexter Fowler scored on a wild pitch in the third, but the Astros took the lead for good in the bottom half when Lee punched a double to center with the bases loaded to clear the bags for a 5-2 lead.
Lee added a sacrifice fly in the fifth while Kouzmanoff led off the seventh with his first home run in a Colorado uniform.
The Rockies left eight men on base...Colorado swept a three-game set at home against Houston from August 22-24...Downs has 15 RBI as a pinch-hitter, which leads the majors...Sosa hit a double in the third for his first major league hit.
- COLORADO: 6
Sep 22 11:43 PM
- Jordan Schafer sacrifice fly out to center scoring Clint Barmes. On the play, Chris Johnson advances at second and J.R. Towles advances to third on Dexter Fowler's throwing error. Runners on second and third and with one out and Jose Altuve due up.
Rockies 6, Astros 9 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 22 11:32 PM
- Wilin Rosario one-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left scored Seth Smith and Kevin Kouzmanoff. Matt Reynolds due up.
Rockies 6, Astros 8 Top 8, 1 OutSep 22 11:14 PM
- Fernando Rodriguez struck out looking to end the inning.
Rockies 3, Astros 8 End 7Sep 22 11:03 PM
- Wilin Rosario doubled to right center. Runner on second with none out and Edgmer Escalona due up.
Rockies 3, Astros 5 Top 7, 0 OutsSep 22 10:27 PM
- Carlos Lee sacrifice fly out to center scoring Jordan Schafer. On the play, Jose Altuve out at second. Runner on second with two outs and Brian Bogusevic due up.
Rockies 2, Astros 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 22 9:57 PM
- Carlos Lee doubled to center scoring Henry Sosa, Jose Altuve and J.D. Martinez. Runner on second with one out and Brian Bogusevic due up.
Rockies 2, Astros 4 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 22 9:12 PM
- Dexter Fowler advances to second on a wild pitch. On the play, J.R. Towles' throwing error scored Eric Young Jr. Runner on third with one out and Jordan Pacheco at the plate.
Rockies 2, Astros 1 Top 3, 1 OutSep 22 8:55 PM
- Clint Barmes doubled to left scoring Brian Bogusevic. Runner on second with two outs and J.R. Towles due up.
Rockies 1, Astros 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 22 8:41 PM
- Wilin Rosario fouled out to first to end the inning.
Rockies 1, Astros 0 Mid 2Sep 22 8:29 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 22 8:07 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21