Rockies defeat Astros in 13 inningsSep 25, 2011 - 5:55 AM
Jordan Lyles (2-8) walked Thomas Field to start the frame, then Field moved to third on Astros catcher Humberto Quintero's fielding error on an Eric Young dribbler. Dexter Fowler was given a free pass with one out, and Nelson worked a base on balls to force in Field.
Aneury Rodriguez came on but served up a sacrfice fly to pinch-hitter Wilin Rosario and Colorado led by two.
Rafael Betancourt retired the side in order for his seventh save. It made a winner of Matt Reynolds (1-2), who walked two but turned in a scoreless 12th.
"We did a great job of hanging in there," said Rockies manager Jim Tracy. "Once again, it goes back to the opportunities that we had, and that we finally came through."
Jordan Pacheco hit a two-run double for the Rockies, who hadn't tasted victory since September 14 at Milwaukee.
Brett Wallace clubbed a solo homer for the Astros, who had taken the first two games of the set.
Houston picked up single runs in the first and second innings. In the former, Jordan Schafer worked a leadoff walk, stole second and later came in on a J.D. Martinez sacrifice fly.
In the latter, Wallace began the frame with a homer to center.
"I've really tried to focus on adjustments, and being ready for when I get my opportunities," said Wallace of his successful at-bats in his return to the Astros.
Colorado countered in the fourth as Mark Ellis walked, Nelson singled and both scored on a two-out double from Pacheco.
The Astros failed to push across the deciding run in the ninth as Matt Downs grounded into a fielder's choice with two on. In the 11th, Downs fouled out with two runners in scoring position.
Schafer fanned to end the 12th with runners on first and second.
Colorado has won four of six from Houston this season...Rockies right fielder Ty Wigginton was ejected by home plate umpire Dan Bellino for arguing hisstrikeout to end the top of the 11th by throwing his helmet...It was the 200,000th official game in major-league history...Houston starter J.A. Happ allowed two runs on three hits, with five strikeouts and four walks, over seven innings, while his Colorado counterpast Jason Hammel also worked seven full frames and gave up two runs and three hits while fanning three.
- COLORADO: 4
Sep 24 11:15 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Wilin Rosario sacrifice fly to center scored Eric Young Jr. On the play, Dexter Fowler advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 4, Astros 2 Top 13, 2 OutsSep 24 11:05 PM
- Chris Nelson walked. Thomas Field scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Matt Reynolds due up.
Rockies 3, Astros 2 Top 13, 1 OutSep 24 10:59 PM
- Jordan Pacheco double to center scored Mark Ellis and Chris Nelson. Runner on second with two out and Kevin Kouzmanoff due up.
Rockies 2, Astros 2 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 24 8:02 PM
- Brett Wallace lead-off Home Run (5) to center. Jimmy Paredes due up.
Rockies 0, Astros 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 24 7:31 PM
- J.D. Martinez sacrifice fly scored Jordan Schafer. None on with two out and Carlos Lee due up.
Rockies 0, Astros 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 24 7:21 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 24 7:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21