Rockies pound AstrosSep 26, 2011 - 12:53 AM
The 25 hits the Rockies recorded is a new franchise record. They had 24 hits in an August 3rd game against Pittsburgh in 2003. The 19 runs tied a franchise record. Colorado scored 19 runs against the Milwaukee Brewers on August 8, 2007.
"To set a franchise record for number of hits in a game, I wouldn't of thought, and obviously no disrespect meant that it would've been done with the patched up lineup that we have, but we swung the bats great today," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.
Ty Wigginton, Jordan Pacheco, and Tommy Field each added four hits for the Rockies, who have won two straight after snapping a nine-game losing skid.
Kevin Millwood (4-3) tossed seven strong innings of shutout ball to pick up the win for Colorado. He scattered three hits, while striking out six and walking one.
Lucas Harrell (0-2) got the ball for Houston, but lasted just three innings as he allowed five runs -- three earned -- on seven hits and one walk.
The Rockies started their onslaught with three runs in the second. Pacheco scored the first run as Harrell committed a throwing error on a Chris Iannetta fielder's choice. Field's single scored Wigginton, while Mark Ellis lifted a sacrifice fly.
"Luke got himself in trouble in that second inning when he didn't get an out on that comebacker. I think it really wasn't a double-play ball, but he tried to make it a double-play ball and the ball got away and we didn't get an out," Astros manager Brad Mills said when he commented on the Harrell error in the second inning.
Colorado added two more runs in the third on a Field RBI single, and a Harrell balk to score Iannetta from third.
Houston got a run in the third on a Jose Altuve RBI single.
The Rockies took an 8-1 advantage after plating three more in the fourth. Pacheco singled in Seth Smith, Wigginton doubled to bring home Kouzmanoff and Field singled to center to score Wigginton.
Kouzmanoff had a sacrifice fly in the fifth, and Millwood launched a two-run homer to left in the sixth. Kouzmanoff smacked a two-run homer, and Iannetta hit a sacrifice fly in the seventh to make it a 14-1 game.
The Rockies got a pair of home runs in the eighth as Kouzmanoff hit his second two-run homer of the game, while Iannetta went deep for a three-run shot.
Houston scored twice in the ninth on a pair of RBI singles from J.B. Shuck and Chris Johnson.
The four hits for Field and Pacheco were career highs for each player...It was Kouzmanoff's second career multi-homer game.
- COLORADO: 19
Sep 25 5:28 PM
- Pinch-Hitter J.B. Shuck single to center scored Brian Bogusevic with two out. On the play, Chris Johnson advances to second. Runners on first and second and J.R. Towles due up.
Rockies 19, Astros 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 25 5:25 PM
- J.B. Shuck is pinch-hitting for Juan Abreu.
Rockies 19, Astros 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 25 5:24 PM
- Chris Iannetta two-out, three-run Home Run (14) to left scored Jordan Pacheco and Ty Wigginton. Thomas Field due up.
Rockies 19, Astros 1 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 25 4:52 PM
- Kevin Kouzmanoff two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (3) to left scored Mark Ellis. Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 16, Astros 1 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 25 4:46 PM
- Thomas Field singled to right. Runner on first with two outs and Kevin Millwood due up.
Rockies 14, Astros 1 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 25 4:27 PM
- Kevin Kouzmanoff none-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Seth Smith. Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 13, Astros 1 Top 7, 0 OutsSep 25 4:22 PM
- Eric Young Jr. infield single to second. Runner on first with two outs and Mark Ellis due up.
Rockies 11, Astros 1 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 25 4:10 PM
- Kevin Kouzmanoff sacrifice fly to right scored Eric Young Jr. with two out. Runner on first and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 9, Astros 1 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 25 3:53 PM
- Thomas Field single to center scored Ty Wigginton with two out. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to third. Runners on first and third and Kevin Millwood due up.
Rockies 8, Astros 1 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 25 3:30 PM
- Ty Wigginton double to left scored Kevin Kouzmanoff with one out. On the play, Jordan Pacheco advances to third. Runners on second and third and Chris Iannetta due up.
Rockies 7, Astros 1 Top 4, 1 OutSep 25 3:23 PM
- Jose Altuve single to center scored Jordan Schafer with two out. On the play, Jose Altuve advances to third on Eric Young Jr.'s fielding error. Runner on third and J.D. Martinez due up.
Rockies 5, Astros 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 25 3:11 PM
- Thomas Field advances to third and Chris Iannetta scored on a Lucas Harrel balk with two out. Runner on third and Eric Young Jr. at the plate.
Rockies 5, Astros 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 25 3:00 PM
- Kevin Millwood sacrifice bunt to third. On the play, Thomas Field advances to second and Chris Iannetta advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Eric Young Jr. due up.
Rockies 4, Astros 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 25 2:59 PM
- Mark Ellis sacrifice fly to left scored Thomas Field with two out. Runners on first and second and Seth Smith due up.
Rockies 3, Astros 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 25 2:34 PM
- Thomas Field single to left scored Ty Wigginton with none out. On the play, Chris Iannetta advances to second. Runners on first and second and Kevin Millwood due up.
Rockies 2, Astros 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 25 2:29 PM
- Chris Iannetta safe on a fielder's choice. On the play, Ty Wigginton advances to third and Jordan Pacheco scored on Lucas Harrell's throwing error with none out. Runners on first and third and Thomas Field due up.
Rockies 1, Astros 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 25 2:28 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 25 2:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21