Home runs and pitching lead Indians over AngelsApr 12, 2011 - 5:28 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Asdrubal Cabrera roped a solo homer in the first and Matt LaPorta added a three-run shot in the second as the Indians topped the Angels, 4-0, in the first of a three-game set at Angels Stadium.
Mitch Talbot (1-0) went eight-plus innings, allowing only five hits and walked a pair while striking out four. Vinnie Pestano closed out the ninth as the Indians won their eighth straight.
"Getting runs early helped," Talbot said. "I was a little more aggressive after that. I was locating my fastball and I am thrilled going eight shutout innings, but I really wanted to finish because my parents were here."
Tyler Chatwood (0-1) was charged for all four runs on four hits while walking four in his major league debut. Chatwood got the start because expected pitcher Dan Haren came in for relief during the Angels' 14-inning win over Toronto on Saturday.
"(Chatwood) got into a lot of hitting counts," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "He just couldn't get it in the zone and it hurt him in the second inning."
Michael Brantley flied out to center to open the game but Cabrera then roped his fourth homer of the season, this time over the center field wall, to give the Tribe the 1-0 lead.
Orlando Cabrera singled to center with one out in the second and after Austin Kearns doubled to put runners on second and third LaPorta plated them both to put Cleveland up 4-0.
Chatwood was pulled in the sixth and Francisco Rodriguez got through two solid innings, allowing only two hits. Rodriguez yielded to Scott Downs and Rich Thompson who both pitched hitless frames to close out the game for Los Angeles.
Talbot, who threw 112 pitches, was pulled after Bobby Abreu roped a double to left to begin the ninth. Pestano came in and sat down the Angels' 4-5-6 hitters in order to end the game.
Game two of the series will feature Fausto Carmona (1-0) for Cleveland as Haren (2-0) takes the hill for Los Angeles.
Abreu and Kearns recorded the only extra-base hits of the game...The Angels finished 0-for-5 with runner in scoring position, stranding six...Chatwood struck out three.
- CLEVELAND: 4
LOS ANGELES: 0
Apr 12 12:33 AM
- Matt LaPorta one-out, three-run Home Run (2) to right scored Orlando Cabrera and Austin Kearns. Jack Hannahan due up.
Indians 4, Angels 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 11 10:32 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera one-out, solo Home Run (4) to center. Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 1, Angels 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 11 10:10 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 11 10:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21