Indians win in 9th, push home streak to 14 gamesMay 11, 2011 - 5:54 AM
Brantley also had a solo home run while Grady Sizemore belted solo shot for the Indians, who extended their home winning streak to 14 games.
"It's not something that we're coming together before the game and saying, 'Come on guys let's keep the streak going.' It's 'Come on guys and play a good game,'" said Chris Perez (2-1), who earned the win with a shutout ninth inning.
"It's nice to be able to defend your home turf."
Matt Joyce had a solo homer and drove in two runs for the Rays, who had a four-game winning streak snapped. Evan Longoria also had solo home run in the loss.
Joel Peralta (1-2) suffered the loss in 1 2/3 innings of relief, leaving the bases loaded in the ninth before Kyle Farnsworth walked in the winning run.
The Indians, who have now won eight games during their last at-bat, set up the win with a Shin-Soo Choo leadoff walk. He then rounded second and slid into third on Carlos Santana's grounder through the right side.
Tampa Bay elected to walk Travis Hafner to load the bases with no outs and Orlando Cabrera grounded into a fielder's choice. But with the bags still full, Brantley worked the count for the all-important walk that sent Choo trotting home for the win.
A 95-minute rain delay pushed back the start of the game but it didn't stop Sizemore, who lead off the bottom of the first with homer.
The Rays tied it back up with a home run of their own in the fourth as Joyce launched the ball over the fence in right.
It was another homer that put the Indians back on top, 2-1, during the home half of the fourth when Brantley ripped the solo shot into right.
Joyce knotted it up once again in the sixth. Ben Zobrist, who had a lead off walk, scored from first on Joyce's double into the left-center gap.
During the home half of the inning, the Indians took a two run lead. Asdrubal Cabrera singled in Matt LaPorta and put Jack Hannahan on third. Hannahan then came home on a passed ball to go up 4-2.
Tampa Bay answered back with a run in the seventh. Sean Rodriguez doubled to start it off and scored on Kelly Shoppach's liner to left. Longoria then tied it up for the final time with a solo homer in the eighth.
"I love the way our guys went after it. I love the attitude of our team, on the field and in the dugout. It was great," said Rays manager Joe Maddon.
The Indians are 14-2 at home this season, the best start in franchise history...Sizemore now has 22 career leadoff homers, extending his franchise record...The teams combined for 2-for-24 with runners in scoring position and left 19 runners on base...Tampa Bay's starter Andy Sonnanstine lasted just 3 1/3 innings, allowing two runs on four hits and five walks...Cleveland starter Josh Tomlin went six innings deep, surrendering three runs on six hits and struck out three.
- TAMPA BAY: 4
May 10 11:55 PM
- Michael Brantley walked. Carlos Santana scored on the play. Bases loaded with one out and Adam Everett due up.
Rays 4, Indians 5 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 10 11:54 PM
- Jack Hannahan sacrifice bunt to third. On the play, Matt LaPorta advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Grady Sizemore due up.
Rays 4, Indians 4 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 10 11:27 PM
- Matt LaPorta lead-off Home Run (5) to center. Jack Hannahan due up.
Rays 4, Indians 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 10 11:24 PM
- B.J. Upton struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Casey Kotchman due up.
Rays 4, Indians 4 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 10 11:19 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Kelly Shoppach singled to left scored Sean Rodriguez.. Runner on first with one out and Sam Fuld due up.
Rays 3, Indians 4 Top 7, 1 OutMay 10 10:56 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo struck out swinging to end the inning.
Rays 2, Indians 4 End 6May 10 10:47 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera singled to second scored Matt LaPorta. On the play, Grady Sizemore advances to second and Jack Hannahan advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Rays 2, Indians 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 10 10:44 PM
- Matt Joyce doubled to center scored Ben Zobrist.. Runner on second with one out and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 2, Indians 2 Top 6, 1 OutMay 10 10:18 PM
- Matt LaPorta walked. Runner on first with one out and Jack Hannahan due up.
Rays 1, Indians 2 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 10 9:49 PM
- Matt Joyce one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 1, Indians 1 Top 4, 1 OutMay 10 9:39 PM
- Grady Sizemore lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Rays 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 10 8:50 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 10 8:41 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21