Rays win, end Indians' 14-game home win streakMay 12, 2011 - 4:09 AM
Price (5-3) surrendered just two runs on five hits while striking out seven for the Rays, who have won five of their last six games.
"He was really good again," Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon said of Price. "He pitched primarily with his fastball and he was very good."
The left-handed starter had plenty of offense backing him as Tampa Bay tallied 11 hits, including solo shots from Ben Zobrist and Matt Joyce. B.J. Upton had two hits and two RBI in the win.
Michael Brantley and Matt LaPorta each knocked in a run for the Indians, who had a 14-game home win streak snapped. The streak stands as the third longest in club history and the longest since August/September 1995.
Indians starter Carlos Carrasco (1-2) suffered the loss, allowing four runs on six hits in five frames.
"Carrasco just didn't throw enough strikes today," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "He pitched behind the count a lot. When you're facing a guy like Price, four or five runs is way too many."
The Rays took a 1-0 lead in the second on Fuld's RBI double that sliced just inside the right foul line.
Tampa Bay put up a three spot in the fourth to give Price some breathing room.
Upton and Casey Kotchman started the inning with singles to put runners on the corners. Upton slid home safely on a fielder's choice, Kotchman touched home thanks to Fuld's single, and Zobrist's sacrifice fly brought home John Jaso to complete the three-run rally.
Price retired the first 12 batters he saw, but surrendered a lead off double to Carlos Santana in the fifth. The starter regained control and retired the next six batters.
During the seventh, Zobrist made it a 5-0 game with a towering shot into right field's second deck in Progressive Field. Upton then ripped a two- RBI double during the same inning to blow the game open.
Cleveland had back-to-back doubles by Orlando Cabrera and LaPorta to get on the board in the eighth. Brantley singled in LaPorta three batters later to make it a 7-2 game.
The red-hot Joyce, however, belted a solo shot over the fence in right-center during the Ray's last at-bat.
Indians center fielder Grady Sizemore was not in the lineup because he was having a precautionary MRI on his right knee, which revealed a contusion.He jammed it during Tuesday's 5-4 win over Tampa Bay and is listed as day-to day...Joyce is hitting .358 this season...It was Carrasco's first start since April 24 when he left an outing against Minnesota because of elbow inflammation...Tampa won seven of its nine matchups with the Indians last season.
- TAMPA BAY: 8
May 11 9:54 PM
- Matt Joyce lead-off Home Run (4) to right. B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 8, Indians 2 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 11 9:38 PM
- Michael Brantley single to left scored Matt LaPorta. Runner on first with two outs and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Rays 7, Indians 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 11 9:34 PM
- Matt LaPorta double to right scored Orlando Cabrera.. Runner on second with none out and Austin Kearns due up.
Rays 7, Indians 1 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 11 9:27 PM
- B.J. Upton double to left center scored Evan Longoria and Matt Joyce. Runner on second with one out and Casey Kotchman due up.
Rays 7, Indians 0 Top 7, 1 OutMay 11 9:00 PM
- Ben Zobrist lead-off Home Run (8) to right. Johnny Damon due up.
Rays 5, Indians 0 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 11 8:53 PM
- Ben Zobrist sacrifice fly out to right scored John Jaso.. Runner on first with two outs and Johnny Damon due up.
Rays 4, Indians 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 11 8:10 PM
- Sam Fuld single to right scored Casey Kotchman. On the play, John Jaso advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 3, Indians 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 11 8:07 PM
- John Jaso grounded into a fielder's choice scored B.J. Upton. On the play, Casey Kotchman advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Sam Fuld due up.
Rays 2, Indians 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 11 8:05 PM
- Sam Fuld double to right scored Reid Brignac. On the play, John Jaso advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 1, Indians 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 11 7:33 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 11 7:06 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21