Brignac, Shields help Rays beat IndiansMay 12, 2011 - 9:36 PM
Evan Longoria and Sam Fuld also knocked in two runs for the Rays, who have won seven of their last nine.
Shields (4-1) yielded two runs on seven hits with one walk and seven strikeouts, and improved to 1-4 in seven career starts against the Indians. He has now allowed a total of five runs in his last five starts.
"This is something Shields has done for a long time," Rays manager Joe Maddon said about the pitcher's two pickoffs. "He looks for those moments. He knows he can get an out that way."
Asdrubal Cabrera hit a solo homer and tripled for Cleveland, which dropped its second straight at home after winning the previous 14 at Progressive Field. The Tribe have lost five of eight overall. Orlando Cabrera had two doubles and an RBI in defeat.
Justin Masterson (5-1) was roughed up for eight hits, five runs and four walks in 5 2/3 innings. The right-hander struck out six.
"Masterson was behind in the count most of the day and really struggled with his command, especially against left-handers," Indians manager Manny Acta said.
Tampa Bay put four runs up in the second to open the scoring. With the bases loaded and one out, Brignac brought in a pair with a double down the left-field line, and Fuld's two-run single to center made it 4-0.
The Indians had men on base in the home second, third and fourth, but were unable to score and the Rays tacked on another in the sixth.
With runners on first and third, and one away, Elliot Johnson's bunt single plated Matt Joyce. Then later in the inning with the bases full and two outs, Masterson was lifted in favor of Chad Durbin, who retired Fuld to prevent further damage.
A homer by Asdrubal Cabrera leading off the sixth and an RBI double from Orlando Cabrera with two away, got the Tribe to within 5-2.
Asdrubal Cabrera tripled high off the right-field wall in the eighth and scored on a groundout by Shin-Soo Choo, but Longoria's two-run double in the top of the ninth made it 7-3.
Kyle Farnsworth came on for the bottom half and gave up a one-out bloop RBI single to Shelley Duncan, but retired the last two hitters to end the game.
Rays outfielder B.J. Upton began his two-game suspension on Thursday for his actions toward home plate umpire Chad Fairchild on May 5 versus Toronto. He will also sit out Friday's game at Baltimore and will return to the lineup on Saturday...Cleveland outfielder Grady Sizemore did not start for the second straight game due to a bruised right knee...Tampa Bay won seven of its nine matchups with the Indians last season...Masterson fell to 1-5 in 10 career games -- six starts -- versus Tampa Bay.
- TAMPA BAY: 7
May 12 3:12 PM
- Shelley Duncan singled to right scored Orlando Cabrera. Runner on first with one out and Matt LaPorta due up.
Rays 7, Indians 4 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 12 3:09 PM
- Evan Longoria doubled to left center scored Ben Zobrist and Johnny Damon. Runner on second with none out and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 7, Indians 3 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 12 2:57 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo grounded out first to pitcher scored Asdrubal Cabrera. None on with two outs and Carlos Santana due up.
Rays 5, Indians 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 12 2:45 PM
- Orlando Cabrera doubled to center scored Shin-Soo Choo. Runner on second with two outs and Shelley Duncan due up.
Rays 5, Indians 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 12 2:01 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera lead-off Home Run (6) to right center. Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Rays 5, Indians 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 12 1:51 PM
- Elliot Johnson bunt single to first scored Matt Joyce. On the play, Casey Kotchman advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Reid Brignac due up.
Rays 5, Indians 0 Top 6, 1 OutMay 12 1:41 PM
- Sam Fuld singled to center scored Elliot Johnson and Reid Brignac. Runner on first with two outs and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 4, Indians 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 12 12:34 PM
- Reid Brignac doubled to left scored Matt Joyce and Casey Kotchman. On the play, Elliot Johnson advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Kelly Shoppach due up.
Rays 2, Indians 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 12 12:29 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 12 12:08 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21