Hellickson, Rays shut down TribeMay 29, 2011 - 11:42 PM
Johnny Damon went 2-for-4 with an RBI, while Evan Longoria finished with two hits, two walks and scored twice for Tampa Bay.
Hellickson (6-3) scattered three hits and two walks while striking out six for the Rays, who entered this series having dropped five of six.
"I felt good all seven innings," Hellickson said. "[Jaso and I) were on the same page the whole game."
Justin Masterson (5-3) gave up seven runs -- six earned -- on eight hits and walked five in five frames for Cleveland, which lost for the fourth time in its last five games.
"Justin had a rough day today. He really struggled with his command," Indians manager Manny Acta said of his starter. "He obviously didn't have a good outing, but he's been money for us so far."
Damon put the Rays on the board with an RBI single in the third. Longoria, who walked prior to Damon's at-bat, moved to third and scored on a passed ball for a 2-0 Tampa Bay lead.
Jaso's two-out blast to the right field seats doubled the advantage in the next inning.
Longoria doubled to lead off the fifth, moved to third on a single by Damon and scored when Ben Zobrist grounded out. Back-to-back walks by Sean Rodriguez and B.J. Upton loaded the bases with two outs. Sam Fuld then hit a grounder fielded by Asdrubal Cabrera and two runs scored on the Cleveland shortstop's errant thrown to first baseman Carlos Santana. Fuld was credited with a single and an RBI on the play.
The Rays finished 4-for-11 with runners in scoring position...Tampa Bay first baseman Casey Kotchman left the game after the fourth inning with right ankle soreness.
- CLEVELAND: 0
TAMPA BAY: 7
May 29 4:13 PM
- Sam Fuld reached first on Asdrubal Cabrera's error scoring Johnny Damon and Sean Rodriguez with two out. On the play, B.J. Upton advances to third and Sam Fuld advances to second. Runners on second and third and John Jaso due up.
Indians 0, Rays 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 29 3:20 PM
- Ben Zobrist grounded out first to pitcher scoring Evan Longoria with one out. On the play, Johnny Damon advances to second. Runner on second and Matt Joyce due up.
Indians 0, Rays 5 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 29 3:06 PM
- Reid Brignac grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Indians 0, Rays 4 End 4May 29 2:49 PM
- With Ben Zobrist batting, passed ball by Lou Marson with one out scores Evan Longoria. Jonny Damon to second
Indians 0, Rays 2 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 29 2:29 PM
- Johnny Damon singled in Reid Brignac with one out. On the play, Evan Longoria advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ben Zobrist due up.
Indians 0, Rays 1 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 29 2:24 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 29 1:42 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21