Yankees power past IndiansJun 11, 2011 - 5:07 AM Bronx, NY (Sports Network) - Alex Rodriguez and Curtis Granderson each homered and Mark Teixeira added a three-run double for the Yankees in an 11-7 victory over the Indians that turned a bit contentious in the second inning.
Teixeira got involved in a shouting match with Indians starter Fausto Carmona after he was hit by a pitch in the second, leading to both teams leaving their benches to join the scuffle. While there was no serious threat of an ensuing brawl, the Yankees beat up the Indians on the scoreboard.
Robinson Cano and Jorge Posada each had three hits and an RBI to help the Yankees put their three-game sweep at the hands of the Red Sox behind them.
Ivan Nova (5-4) lasted seven innings and gave up two runs on four hits and three walks to earn the win.
Carmona (3-8) was roughed up for six runs on eight hits and three walks in just four frames en route to dropping his fifth straight start.
Carlos Santana hit a solo homer and drove in two for Cleveland, which was coming off an unsuccessful 1-6 homestand.
Carmona walked the bases loaded in the first inning, and all three runners scored. Cano knocked in Derek Jeter with a single, Teixeira scored on Nick Swisher's sacrifice fly and Posada brought in Rodriguez with a base hit.
"Obviously walking to bases loaded in the first inning did him in," stated Indians manager Manny Acta, who also said he had never seen Carmona that wild.
Granderson belted one high into the second deck down the right-field line in the second, and Carmona, clearly frustrated, sent his next pitch between Teixeira's numbers on the back of his jersey, causing an uneventful clearing of the benches.
"If you want to send a message, if you're upset the way you're pitching and upset you gave up a home run, just throw the ball below the waist. I've been hit plenty of times in my career, but any time it's a purpose pitch up near my head, near my neck, I don't like that," Teixeira explained.
New York continued its onslaught the next inning, as Brett Gardner doubled off the wall in right-center to plate Cano. In the fourth, Rodriguez powered one into the bleachers in left-center for a 6-0 cushion.
Cleveland had the bases loaded with one out in the fifth and managed only one run on Michael Brantley's fielder's choice grounder to first.
Santana homered in the sixth, then gave the run back in the bottom half when he tried to nab Granderson trying to steal third and threw the ball away, allowing Granderson to score easily.
The Yankees pushed across four against Chad Durbin in the seventh, as Teixeira knocked in three on a bases-loaded double to the right-field gap before scoring on Rodriguez's two-bagger to center.
Kevin Whelan, called up from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre before the game, walked four Indians in the eighth to force in a run, and Cleveland put together a late rally in the ninth.
Santana hit an RBI single and Shin-Soo Choo worked a walk off Lance Pendleton to bring in a run and force Mariano Rivera out of the bullpen in a non-save situation.
LaPorta greeted the closer with a two-run single, but Rivera retired the next two hitters to get the four-game series started on a winning note for the hosts.
Jeter doubled in the seventh to pull within nine hits shy of 3,000 for his career...Rodriguez's homer was his 12th of the season and 625th for his career...Before the game, the Yankees learned reliever Joba Chamberlain will need to undergo Tommy John surgery, effectively ending his season and likely part of next year's as well...The Yankees optioned outfielder Chris Dickerson to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to make room for Whelan...Indians outfielder Travis Buck may have whiplash from a car accident involving a taxicab earlier Friday.
- CLEVELAND: 7
NEW YORK: 11
Jun 10 10:41 PM
- Matt LaPorta double to right center scored Grady Sizemore and Carlos Santana with one out. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Cord Phelps due up.
Indians 7, Yankees 11 Top 9, 1 OutJun 10 10:39 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo walk scored Asdrubal Cabrera with one out. Bases loaded with one out and Matt LaPorta due up.
Indians 5, Yankees 11 Top 9, 1 OutJun 10 10:35 PM
- Carlos Santana single to left scored Michael Brantley with one out. On the play, Grady Sizemore advances to second and Asdrubal Cabrera advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 4, Yankees 11 Top 9, 1 OutJun 10 10:30 PM
- Cord Phelps walk scored Grady Sizemore with two out. Bases loaded with two outs and Orlando Cabrera due up.
Indians 3, Yankees 11 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 10 10:08 PM
- Alex Rodriguez double to center scored Mark Teixeira with one out. Runner on second with one out and Robinson Cano due up.
Indians 2, Yankees 11 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 10 9:40 PM
- Mark Teixeira double to right center scored Francisco Cervelli, Derek Jeter and Curtis Granderson with one out. Runner on second with one out and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Indians 2, Yankees 10 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 10 9:39 PM
- Robinson Cano struck out swinging. On the play, Mark Teixeira stole second. Curtis Granderson stole third. On the play, Curtis Granderson scored on Carlos Santana throwing Error. Runner on second with two outs and Nick Swisher due up.
Indians 2, Yankees 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 10 9:12 PM
- Carlos Santana one-out, solo Home Run (7) to center. Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 2, Yankees 6 Top 6, 1 OutJun 10 8:58 PM
- Michael Brantley fielder's choice to first scored Matt LaPorta with two out. Jack Hannahan out at second. Cord Phelps advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 1, Yankees 6 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 10 8:40 PM
- Alex Rodriguez two-out, solo Home Run (12) to center. Robinson Cano due up.
Indians 0, Yankees 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 10 8:24 PM
- Brett Gardner double to right center scored Robinson Cano with one out. On the play, Jorge Posada advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Francisco Cervelli due up.
Indians 0, Yankees 5 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 10 8:06 PM
- Curtis Granderson two-out, solo Home Run (19) to right. Mark Teixeira due up.
Indians 0, Yankees 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 10 7:47 PM
- Jorge Posada single to center scored Alex Rodriguez with two out. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Brett Gardner due up.
Indians 0, Yankees 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 10 7:33 PM
- Nick Swisher sacrifice fly to left scored Mark Teixeira with two out. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jorge Posada due up.
Indians 0, Yankees 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 10 7:30 PM
- Robinson Cano single to right scored Derek Jeter with one out. On the play, Alex Rodriguez advances to second and Mark Teixeira advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Nick Swisher due up.
Indians 0, Yankees 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 10 7:28 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 10 7:10 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21