Yankees surge past IndiansJun 12, 2011 - 10:39 PM
The Yankees banged out 18 hits and have won the first three games of this four-game series by a combined score of 24-8.
Garcia (5-5) gave up one run on seven hits and two walks, striking out six batters for his third win in four starts.
"He got out of some situations where they had runners in scoring position," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi. "I thought that was important. It allowed us to build our lead."
Rodriguez keyed a five-run fifth with a two-run double and finished with three hits. Curtis Granderson had four hits, two RBI and two runs scored and Brett Gardner sparked each of New York's run-scoring innings with two doubles and a triple.
Josh Tomlin (7-4) was knocked around for six runs on 12 hits in five innings to absorb the loss as the Indians fell to 1-9 in their last 10 games.
Tomlin said he wasn't intimidated pitching against New York's high-powered offense, despite the outcome.
"That's why you play the game. You play to play against guys like [the Yankees] to test your stuff," remarked Tomlin. "I didn't change my approach at all. I still tried to go after them."
Derek Jeter had two hits for the Yankees to reach 2,993 for his career, while Cleveland's Orlando Cabrera reached 2,000 hits with a single in the second inning.
The Yankees have bounced back nicely to even their record to 3-3 on a 10-game homestand that started inauspiciously when they were swept in three games by the rival Red Sox.
Still, Sunday's win was dampened by the news that the Yankees had placed right-hander Bartolo Colon on the 15-day disabled list after he strained his left hamstring in Saturday's 4-0 win.
Gardner hit a leadoff double in the third inning and scored after back-to-back fly balls by Derek Jeter and Granderson. But the Yankees didn't blow the game open until their five-run fifth.
Again, Gardner provided a spark with a leadoff double. Jeter scored him with a single and Granderson followed with a base hit. Rodriguez delivered a one-out double to score two runs, then came home on Robinson Cano's single. Nick Swisher also singled and Cano scored on Jorge Posada's sacrifice fly to make it 6-0.
The Indians scratched out a run in the seventh to chase Garcia from the game.
Austin Kearns led off with a double and scored after back-to-back groundouts by Jack Hannahan and Michael Brantley. Garcia was pulled when Asdrubal Cabrera followed with a single. Boone Logan replaced Garcia on the mound.
The Indians then loaded the bases after Grady Sizemore walked and Carlos Santana reached on Rodriguez's throwing error, but Shin-Soo Choo lined out to Jeter at short to end the inning.
Considering their recent history, it wasn't surprising the Indians didn't get more out of the rally. They are mired in an .088 slump (6-for-68) with runners in scoring position.
"You can't expect to win ballgames doing that kind of stuff," said Indians manager Manny Acta.
The Yankees scored three runs off Chad Durbin in the eighth inning for their 9-1 lead. Gardner tripled leading off and Jeter hit an RBI single. Granderson had an RBI ground-rule double and Rodriguez added a run-scoring single.
Logan, Luis Ayala and Kevin Whelan combined to throw 2 1/3 scoreless innings for the Yankees.
Orlando Cabrera became the 262nd player in MLB history to reach 2,000 career hits and the 17th active player...Choo and Asdrubal Cabrera had two stolen bases apiece and Orlando Cabrera added one. Cleveland stole five bases for the first time since swiping six on September 21, 2000 against the Red Sox.
- CLEVELAND: 1
NEW YORK: 9
Jun 12 4:20 PM
- Robinson Cano flied out to left. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Dickerson due up.
Indians 1, Yankees 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 12 4:09 PM
- Eduardo Nunez is pinch-running for Derek Jeter.
Indians 1, Yankees 7 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 12 4:03 PM
- Michael Brantley ground out first to pitcher scored Austin Kearns with two out. None on and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 1, Yankees 6 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 12 3:24 PM
- Jorge Posada sacrifice fly to left scored Robinson Cano with two out. Runner on first and Russell Martin due up.
Indians 0, Yankees 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 12 2:53 PM
- Robinson Cano single to left scored Alex Rodriguez with one out. Runner on first and Nick Swisher due up.
Indians 0, Yankees 5 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 12 2:49 PM
- Derek Jeter single to right scored Brett Gardner with none out. Runner on first and Curtis Granderson due up.
Indians 0, Yankees 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 12 2:42 PM
- Curtis Granderson sacrifice fly to right scored Brett Gardner with two out. None on and Mark Teixeira due up.
Indians 0, Yankees 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 12 2:03 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 12 1:10 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21