Hafner leads Cleveland past ColoradoJun 23, 2011 - 4:00 AM
Grady Sizemore added an RBI single for the Indians, who avoided being swept and snapped a five-game losing streak to the Rockies.
Josh Tomlin (9-4) gave up five hits, including a pair of home runs by Colorado's Ty Wigginton, over 6 1/3 innings. Chris Perez worked around a two- out double in the ninth to record his 18th save of the season.
"Tomlin was very good again, 70 percent of his pitches were strikes," said Cleveland manager Manny Acta.
Jason Hammel (4-7) allowed four runs on five hits and walked five in six frames to absorb the loss for Colorado.
"We don't have anything going out of here to feel bad about," said Colorado manager Jim Tracy. "We won a series against a very good club."
The AL Central-leading Indians produced a pair of runs in the third. Travis Buck led off the inning with a double and Jack Hannahan walked before Sizemore put Cleveland on the board with a grounder to right field. After moving to third on a groundout, Hannahan scored on a balk by Hammel.
Wigginton's one-out blast in the fifth cut Colorado's deficit in half, but Hafner followed a leadoff double by Asdrubal Cabrera in the sixth with a line drive inside the right foul pole to make it a 4-1 game.
The Rockies closed to within a run in the seventh, as Wigginton crushed a Tomlin offering over the left-field wall. Wigginton's ninth home run of the year plated Troy Tulowitzki, who led off the frame with a single.
Tomlin improved to 6-1 at home in 2011...Wigginton posted the 13th multi-homer game of his career...Hafner has now hit in nine straight and reached base safely in 22 consecutive games.
- COLORADO: 3
Jun 22 9:53 PM
- Ty Wigginton one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (9) scored Troy Tulowitzki.
Rockies 3, Indians 4 Top 7, 1 OutJun 22 9:01 PM
- Travis Hafner none-out, two-run Home Run (7) scored Asdrubal Cabrera.
Rockies 1, Indians 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 22 8:40 PM
- Ty Wigginton one-out, solo Home Run (8).
Rockies 1, Indians 2 Top 5, 1 OutJun 22 8:16 PM
- Jack Hannahan scored on a balk.
Rockies 0, Indians 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 22 7:58 PM
- Grady Sizemore single scored Travis Buck with none out.
Rockies 0, Indians 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 22 7:49 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 22 7:05 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21