Giants edge Cleveland to open seriesJun 25, 2011 - 6:48 AM
Torres had three hits, including a homer, for the Giants, who rallied from a three-run deficit to post their third straight victory. Their three runs in the sixth were unearned, helped by a pair of errors from first baseman Carlos Santana.
Carlos Carrasco (7-4) went the distance for the second time in his career, allowing six hits and fanning four. Santana stroked a two-run double in the opening inning for the Indians, who had just two hits and lost for the third time in four tries.
Jonathan Sanchez started on the mound for the Giants and was lifted after walking six batters in 4 2/3 innings. Santiago Casilla (1-1) escaped a bases- loaded jam in the fifth and got the win. Brian Wilson pitched a 1-2-3 ninth for his 22nd save.
Indians right fielder Shin-Soo Choo suffered a broken left thumb after being hit by a pitch in the fourth inning. With Choo headed to the disabled list, the Indians are expected to recall outfielder Travis Buck from Triple-A Columbus.
"He means so much to us, not only offensively, but defensively and running the bases," Indians manager Manny Acta said. "He's a very important part of our lineup. The way he's been swinging the bat the last week or so, and the way we know he was going to swing the bat the rest of the season, it's a big blow."
Chris Stewart singled leading off the bottom of the sixth, and pinch-hitter Nate Schierholtz reached first on Santana's throwing error on a force attempt. Torres then singled to center to load the bases. Emmanuel Burriss then chopped a ball toward first. Santana charged, but bobbled the ball and everybody was safe.
Pablo Sandoval followed with a sacrifice fly to right, placing runners at the corners. Huff then hit a pop-up down the third base line. Jack Hannahan backed up to make the catch, but because his momentum drifted backward, his throw home wasn't strong enough as Torres scored easily.
"We got a couple of breaks there, you take it," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
It was just an all-around tough night for Santana, who was picked off first base in the eighth inning. He walked leading off the frame, but with one out, Stewart caught him off first with a great throw from the plate.
Sanchez walked two batters in the opening inning before Santana doubled to center field.
In the fourth inning, Sanchez threw a high fastball to Choo, who couldn't get out of the way. The ball caromed off his hand and he collapsed to the ground in obvious pain.
He was attended to by medical personnel before heading to the dugout. Choo had the glove of his left hand cut away before he exited the contest. He was replaced by Shelley Duncan, who scored later in the inning on Jack Hannahan's single.
Torres homered to right leading off the bottom of the fourth.
The Giants have 16 home wins this year decided by one run...San Francisco is 18-5 this season when Huff drives in at least one run...San Francisco won two of three encounters with Cleveland from June 24-26, 2008, while the Indians recorded a three-game sweep as the visitor back in the 2005 campaign...Carrasco has allowed just two earned runs over his last four starts, covering 29 2/3 innings.
- CLEVELAND: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 4
Jun 25 12:48 AM
- Aubrey Huff sacrifice fly foul out to third scored Andres Torres. On the play, Emmanuel Burriss advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Pat Burrell due up.
Indians 3, Giants 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 25 12:44 AM
- Andres Torres lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Emmanuel Burriss due up.
Indians 3, Giants 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 24 11:15 PM
- Jack Hannahan singled to center scored Shelley Duncan. On the play, Lou Marson advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Carlos Carrasco due up.
Indians 3, Giants 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 24 11:10 PM
- Carlos Santana doubled to center scored Orlando Cabrera and Asdrubal Cabrera. Runner on second with one out and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 2, Giants 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 24 10:23 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 24 10:17 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21