Bumgarner shuts down IndiansJun 27, 2011 - 4:58 AM
In Bumgarner's (4-9) last outing against Minnesota on Tuesday, he lasted just a third of an inning and allowed eight runs to become the first pitcher in the modern era to give up nine hits and record less than two outs in game.
On Sunday, he was charged with just one run on six hits and a walk over seven innings in the Giants' fifth straight victory.
"I'm not going to say there wasn't any doubt. It's tough to forget about a start like that. I tried to put it behind me the best I could," said Bumgarner about his last appearance. "I wasn't thinking of the last start at all today. I was obviously focused on today."
Jeremy Affeldt struck out five batters in two perfect innings to earn his second save.
Chris Stewart stroked a two-run double in the second inning and Aubrey Huff added an RBI single in the third for the Giants.
Fausto Carmona (4-10) allowed three runs on seven hits and three walks in Cleveland's third consecutive loss and the fifth in six games.
The Giants struck first in the second. Cody Ross and Bill Hall both singled before coming around to score when Stewart slapped a soft liner over a jumping Orlando Cabrera and into the right-center field gap.
San Francisco added to its lead in the next inning on three consecutive one- out singles by Brandon Crawford, Pablo Sandoval and Huff.
The Indians wasted a chance with two men in scoring position in the fourth, but got a run back in the sixth. Michael Brantley started the frame with a walk and Cabrera followed with a double down the third base line to put runners on second and third with no outs. Replays showed that the ball bounced past third base foul, but home plate umpire Jerry Layne had to make the call from behind the plate because the original umpire, Hunter Wendelstedt, left the game after the top of the second inning after he was hit in the head with the ball on a foul bunt attempt.
Asdrubal Cabrera's groundout scored Brantley, but that would be all the Indians would get in the inning after Carlos Santana and Grady Sizemore both struck out to end the threat. The tally did end Cleveland's drought of 19 straight scoreless innings.
That would be the extent of the Indians offense, though, as Bumgarner and Affeldt shut them down with a combined 16 strikeouts.
Their best chance to get in the game came in the fourth inning when Orlando Cabrera and Asdrubal Cabrera started the frame with back-to-back singles. After a Santana flyout, Sizemore's groundout moved the runners up to second and third, but Shelley Duncan struck out on four pitches to end the inning.
"We were just flat out overmatched at the plate [with] 16 strikeouts. Not even some of our outs were very productive when we had guys in scoring position or on second with less than two outs," said Indians manager Manny Acta about his team's offense.
Sandoval left the game in the seventh inning with a tight left quad muscle. He was replaced by Miguel Tejada at third...The win was Bumgarner's first at home this season. He is now 1-5 in eight starts at AT&T Park...Carmona fell to 2-6 in nine road starts...It was the Giants sixth series sweep this year.
- CLEVELAND: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Jun 26 10:54 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera grounded out short to first scoring Michael Brantley with one out. Runner on second with one out and Carlos Santana due up.
Indians 1, Giants 3 Top 6, 1 OutJun 26 10:00 PM
- Aubrey Huff single to right scored Brandon Crawford with one out. On the play, Pablo Sandoval advances to second. Runners on first and second and Cody Ross due up.
Indians 0, Giants 3 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 26 9:04 PM
- Chris Stewart double to right center scored Cody Ross and Bill Hall with two outs. Stewart advances to third on the throw. Runner on third and Madison Bumgarner due up.
Indians 0, Giants 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 26 8:48 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 26 8:12 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21