Ellsbury's hit in ninth sends Boston over ClevelandAug 3, 2011 - 7:36 AM
Boston wasted Dustin Pedroia's leadoff single in the eighth, but got consecutive one-out base hits in the ninth by Jason Varitek and Josh Reddick and cashed in on the chance when Ellsbury lined one to center off Vinnie Pestano (1-1).
Jarrod Saltalamacchia, pinch-running for Vartiek, slid in head first in front of Ezequiel Carrera's off-line throw to help the hosts rebound from Monday's 9-6 loss in the opener of this four-game series.
"Those are exciting," said Ellsbury. "To end the game like that with a 'W' on one swing of the bat."
Boston's Josh Beckett lasted six innings and yielded a pair of solo home runs to Jason Kipnis and Lonnie Chisenhall. The right-hander allowed six hits, did not issue a walk and struck out seven.
Jonathan Papelbon (3-0) earned the win.
"[Beckett] was just getting his pitches across and pounding the zone, and working both sides of the plate. It's tough to adjust to that," Chisenhall said.
Following a one-hour, 35-minute rain delay to start the game, Kipnis hit a fly ball to right-center that barely eluded Darnell McDonald's glove and landed in Boston's bullpen for the rookie's third home run in as many games.
David Ortiz tied things in the second by scoring on a wild pitch, but it was the only run the Red Sox pushed across after loading the bases with their first three hitters.
Chisenhall took Beckett deep down the right-field line for a 2-1 lead in the fourth, only to have Kevin Youkilis answer with a leadoff blast off the Sports Authority sign above the Green Monster in the sixth.
The homer came off Rafael Perez because David Huff needed 102 pitches to get through five frames. Huff gave up an unearned run and three hits in the no- decision. He walked two and fanned six.
Boston's Tim Wakefield turned 45 on Tuesday...Pedroia has hit safely in each of his last 24 games at Fenway Park...Boston first baseman Adrian Gonzalez extended his hitting streak to 12 games...Youkilis was ejected in the eighth for arguing a swinging strike...Huff was on the other end of a no-hitter by the Angels' Ervin Santana in his previous start.
- CLEVELAND: 2
Aug 2 11:58 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury single to center scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia with one out to end the game.
Indians 2, Red Sox 3 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 2 11:54 PM
- Kevin Youkilis lead-off Home Run (16) to left. David Ortiz due up.
Indians 2, Red Sox 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 2 10:47 PM
- Carl Crawford struck out swinging. None on with one out and Mike Aviles due up.
Indians 2, Red Sox 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 2 10:03 PM
- Darnell McDonald struck out swinging. Runners on second and third with two outs and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Indians 1, Red Sox 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 2 9:28 PM
- Jason Kipnis one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right center. Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 2 8:48 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 2 8:46 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21
- Boston's Kelly has no-bid broken up after 6 2/3 innings May 21