Indians rally past TwinsAug 13, 2011 - 4:34 AM
Carlos Santana added two hits, including a run-scoring double, for the Indians, who have won three of four and kept pace in the race for the AL Central crown.
Rafael Perez (5-2) recorded the final out in the eighth to earn the win, and Chris Perez turned in a perfect ninth to record his 24th save as Cleveland won for the 14th time this season in its final turn at the plate.
"We just feed off each other," LaPorta said. "We see one guy step up, and we want to step up, too, and help the ballclub out. I don't think we quit. We continue to go out there and give it everything we have."
Tsuyoshi Nishioka collected a pair of hits and drove in both runs for the Twins, losers in seven of their last eight.
Glen Perkins (4-3) allowed the winning run over two-thirds of an inning to take the loss.
The Indians tallied twice in their last at-bat to claim victory.
Twins starter Carl Pavano remained on the mound for the eighth, but allowed a one-out single to Hafner before Perkins got the call. Santana promptly blasted a double off the wall in right-center to score the tying run, then after moving up on a groundout, Santana came home when LaPorta blooped his hit to short left.
Cleveland's closer Perez retired the side in order to lock up the win.
Minnesota picked up a run in the third as Ben Revere reached on a fielder's choice, stole second and came in on a base hit by Nishioka.
Cleveland tied the game in the sixth thanks to an error by Nishioka, who booted a Hafner grounder at short with runners on the corners, scoring Shin-Soo Choo.
"Just part of growing up; first time over here," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said of Nishioka, who joined the club in the offseason after playing in Japan. "Part of growing up and learning. Some balls were hit pretty hard at him."
The Tribe wasted a bases loaded situation in the seventh, when Jason Kipnis grounded out to Justin Morneau, then Minnesota moved ahead in the eighth against Tribe starter Justin Masterson.
Jim Thome walked and his pinch-runner Delmon Young moved to third on a Danny Valencia single. Though Young was erased in a rundown trying to score on Revere's grounder, Nishioka singled in the next at-bat to bring in Valencia with the lead run.
That spelled the end for Masterson, who gave way to the reliever Perez. He induced an inning-ending groundout from Denard Span.
Pavano let up 10 hits and two runs with four strikeouts over 7 1/3 innings, and his counterpart Masterson allowed five hits and two runs over 7 2/3 innings...Morneau made his first appearance since June 9, having been activated from the DL after recovering from wrist and neck surgeries...Prior to the game, the Indians activated Choo from the 15-day disabled list after recovering from a fractured left thumb, and designated outfielder Austin Kearns for assignment.
- MINNESOTA: 2
Aug 12 9:38 PM
- Matt LaPorta doubled to left scored Carlos Santana with two out. Runner on second with Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Twins 2, Indians 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 12 9:29 PM
- Carlos Santana doubled to center scored Michael Brantley with one out. Runner on second with Kosuke Fukudome due up.
Twins 2, Indians 2 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 12 9:27 PM
- Tsuyoshi Nishioka singled to right scored Danny Valencia with two out. On the play, Ben Revere advances to third. Runners on first and third with Denard Span due up.
Twins 2, Indians 1 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 12 9:09 PM
- Carlos Santana grounded out to first to end the inning.
Twins 1, Indians 1 End 6Aug 12 8:36 PM
- Denard Span flied out to left. Runner on first with two outs and Alexi Casilla due up.
Twins 1, Indians 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 12 7:34 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 7:06 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21