Indians hold off TwinsSep 17, 2011 - 6:16 AM
Ubaldo Jimenez (4-2) allowed three runs -- one earned -- on five hits over 6 1/3 innings to grab the win. He walked three and struck out four.
Jim Thome and Carlos Santana both hit a solo home run for the Indians, who halted a three-game skid. Despite the win, the Indians were officially eliminated from the AL Central race due to the Tigers' division-clinching victory over the Athletics on Friday.
Kevin Slowey (0-6) surrendered five runs on seven hits over four innings to suffer his career-high sixth straight loss.
Ben Revere and Trevor Plouffe both knocked in a run in the bottom of the ninth, but Chris Perez settled to record his 33rd save of the season.
Revere went 2-for-4 with two RBI for the Twins, losers of six in a row and 11 of 12.
Thome, who spent last season and parts of 2011 with the Twins before being acquired by the Indians, was treated to a standing ovation after giving Cleveland a 7-4 lead in the top of the ninth with a solo shot.
The home run proved the difference, as the Twins got to Perez in the home half. Consecutive one-out doubles by Joe Benson and Matt Tolbert placed runners at second and third. Revere's groundout scored Benson and Plouffe's single capped the scoring before Rene Tosoni went down on strikes to end the game.
"I was not happy for him," said Twins right fielder Michael Cuddyer. "I mean obviously he was a great teammate, great guy, but he's playing for the other team and that home run ended up being the difference in the game."
Santana gave the Indians an early lead with a homer in the second and Kosuke Fukudome made it a 2-0 game with a run-scoring double play groundout an inning later.
Chisenhall's two-out single plated Thome in the third before Lou Marson's two- run single up the middle put the Indians on top 5-0.
The Twins finally broke through in the fifth when Indians center fielder Grady Sizemore dropped a fly ball off the bat of Tosoni, allowing two runs to score.
Chisenhall responded with an RBI single off of Phil Dumatrait a half-inning later.
Benson's first career triple began the Twins' seventh. Tony Sipp relieved Jimenez two batters later and Revere greeted him with an RBI single. Sipp's errant pickoff attempt allowed Revere to reach third and Plouffe's sac fly made it a 6-4 game.
"Getting a chance to come here and play here for two years, it was very special," said Thome.
Twins designated hitter Jason Kubel was removed from the game with a left foot injury. He was replaced by Tosoni...On Friday, the Twins announced that catcher Joe Mauer will likely miss the remainder of the season with mild pneumonia.
- CLEVELAND: 7
Sep 16 11:09 PM
- Ben Revere grounded out second to first scored Joe Benson. On the play, Matt Tolbert advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Indians 7, Twins 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 16 11:05 PM
- Chris Perez starts the inning for the Indians.
Indians 7, Twins 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsSep 16 10:56 PM
- Trevor Plouffe sacrifice fly out to center scored Ben Revere. None on with two outs and Rene Tosoni due up.
Indians 6, Twins 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 16 10:26 PM
- Ben Revere singled to left scored Joe Benson. Runner on first with one out and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Indians 6, Twins 3 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 16 10:23 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall singled to center scored Grady Sizemore. On the play, Shelley Duncan advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Lou Marson due up.
Indians 6, Twins 2 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 16 9:55 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Rene Tosoni reached third on Grady Sizemore's fielding error scored Joe Benson and Ben Revere. Runner on third with two outs and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Indians 5, Twins 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 16 9:42 PM
- Lou Marson singled to center scored Shelley Duncan and Lonnie Chisenhall. Runner on first with two outs and Kosuke Fukudome due up.
Indians 5, Twins 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 16 9:12 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall singled to center scored Jim Thome. On the play, Lonnie Chisenhall advances to second on the throw and Shelley Duncan advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Lou Marson due up.
Indians 3, Twins 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 16 9:11 PM
- Jason Kipnis doubled to left. Runner on second with two outs and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 2, Twins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 16 8:51 PM
- Carlos Santana one-out, solo Home Run (24) to right. Grady Sizemore due up.
Indians 1, Twins 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 16 8:33 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 16 8:11 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21