Shelley, Indians take down TwinsSep 25, 2011 - 2:36 AM
Duncan also had three RBI in the opener of the twinbill, an 8-2 Cleveland win.
Carlos Santana went 2-for-4 with two runs scored while Lonnie Chisenhall and Ezequiel Carrera each had two hits and an RBI for the Indians, who have won four straight to move two games over .500.
"Long but productive day," said Cleveland manager Manny Acta. "Our offense really stepped up today and Duncan was fantastic. We were in a big hole today and we crawled out of it."
Mitch Talbot pitched 5 1/3 innings in the start for Cleveland, giving up six runs on nine hits with four walks. Nick Hagadone (1-0) pitched a perfect seventh inning for the first win of his career.
Drew Butera hit a triple and drove in three runs while scoring twice, and Ben Revere had three hits and an RBI for the Twins, who fell to 3-19 in September.
Scott Diamond was tagged for four runs on six hits over 5 1/3 innings in the start for Minnesota. Jose Mijares (0-2) got the loss.
The Indians were trailing, 6-0, entering the home sixth, but cut into their deficit with five runs in the frame.
With two on, Duncan brought home one with a single and Chisenhall followed with an RBI double. Alex Burnett then took the hill and Lou Marson greeted him with a single to plate another run. Cord Phelps then brought home one with a groundout and Carrera's single made it a 6-5 game.
Duncan's two-run double to left in the seventh gave the Indians a 7-6 lead.
Tony Sipp pitched a 1-2-3 eighth while Chris Perez worked around a two-out single in the ninth for his 36th save.
Danny Valencia drove in Trevor Plouffe with a sacrifice fly in the first and the Twins added two runs in the second on an RBI triple from Butera followed by a Revere single for a 3-0 lead.
Butera brought home two more with a double in the sixth and later scored when Plouffe lofted a sac fly to left for a 6-0 advantage.
Duncan has 44 RBI on the season...Cleveland is 44-36 at home while Minnesota is a woeful 29-51 as the guest...Cleveland has won 12 of the 17 games with Minnesota this season...Cleveland batted 5-for-12 with runners in the scoring position.
- MINNESOTA: 6
Sep 24 10:05 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall intentionally walked. Runners on first and second with one out and Lou Marson due up.
Twins 6, Indians 7 Bot 7, 1 OutSep 24 9:42 PM
- Chris Parmelee flied out to left. None on with one out and Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 6, Indians 5 Top 7, 1 OutSep 24 9:20 PM
- Cord Phelps grounded out to first scoring Lonnie Chisenhall with two out. On the play, Lou Marson advances to second. Runner on second and Ezequiel Carrera due up.
Twins 6, Indians 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 24 9:09 PM
- Lou Marson singled to right scored Shelley Duncan with one out. On the play, Lonnie Chisenhall advances to third. Runners on first and third and Cord Phelps due up.
Twins 6, Indians 3 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 24 9:06 PM
- Alex Burnett enters the game for the Twins with runners on second and third, one out and Lou Marson due up.
Twins 6, Indians 2 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 24 9:03 PM
- Trevor Plouffe sacrifice fly to left scored Drew Butera with two out. Runner on second and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Twins 6, Indians 0 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 24 8:47 PM
- Josh Judy enters the game for the Indians with a runner on second, one out and Ben Revere due up.
Twins 5, Indians 0 Top 6, 1 OutSep 24 8:41 PM
- Ben Revere singled to center scoring Drew Butera with one out. Runner on first and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 3, Indians 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 24 7:30 PM
- Drew Butera tripled to left scoring Brian Dinkelman with one out. Runner on third and Ben Revere due up.
Twins 2, Indians 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 24 7:28 PM
- Danny Valencia sacrifice fly to center scored Trevor Plouffe with two out. Runners on first and second and Rene Tosoni due up.
Twins 1, Indians 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 24 7:14 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 24 7:10 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21