Tosoni's homer helps Twins beat Indians in extrasSep 25, 2011 - 10:12 PM
In the 10th, Tosoni led off the frame with his fourth shot of the year off of Tony Sipp (6-3) for a 5-4 lead. Chris Parmelee added an RBI single later in the frame to give Minnesota some breathing room.
Joe Nathan worked the bottom of the 10th for his 14th save of the season.
That made a winner of Kyle Waldrop (1-0), who pitched a scoreless ninth inning for the first win of his career. Liam Hendriks started the game and pitched six innings of four-run, seven-hit ball.
Ben Revere drove in two runs while Denard Span had two hits and two runs scored for the Twins, who won for just the fourth time in September.
In possibly his final game in Cleveland, Jim Thome pinch-hit in the eighth inning and drew a walk. He then stayed out to play third base, where be began his career, for one pitch in the ninth inning.
Shelley Duncan hit a two-run home run while Lonnie Chisenhall had a two-run single for the Indians, who had a four-game winning streak snapped. Fausto Carmona gave up four runs on seven hits over 6 1/3 innings.
An RBI single from Revere and a sacrifice fly from Danny Valencia in the first staked Minnesota to an early 2-0 lead, but the Indians got the runs back in the bottom of the inning on Chisenhall's hit.
Duncan's homer in the third gave Cleveland a 4-2 lead, but Minnesota was able to tie the game after an RBI groundout from Revere in the fifth and a solo home run by Trevor Plouffe in the sixth.
It was the first time since 1996 that Thome had played at third base...Cleveland, which went 44-37 at home this season, plays a three-game set in Detroit to finish its season...Minnesota, which finished just 30-51 on the road, closes out a disappointing 2011 season at home against Kansas City...The Indians won 11 of the 18 games against the Twins this season.
- Danny Valencia flied out to center to end the inning.
Twins 6, Indians 4 Mid 10Sep 25 4:05 PM
- Rene Tosoni lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Denard Span due up.
Twins 5, Indians 4 Top 10, 0 OutsSep 25 3:53 PM
- Brian Dinkelman struck out swinging to end the inning.
Twins 4, Indians 4 Mid 6Sep 25 2:44 PM
- Ben Revere grounded out second to first scoring Denard Span. None on with two outs and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Twins 3, Indians 4 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 25 2:27 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall flied out to right. None on with one out and Jason Donald due up.
Twins 2, Indians 4 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 25 2:07 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall singled to right scoring Jason Kipnis and Travis Hafner. On the play, Shelley Duncan advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jason Donald due up.
Twins 2, Indians 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 25 1:28 PM
- Danny Valencia sacrifice fly out to right scoring Ben Revere. Runner on first with two outs and Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 2, Indians 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 25 1:16 PM
- Michael Cuddyer flied out to right. Runner on first with one out and Chris Parmelee due up.
Twins 1, Indians 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 25 1:12 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 25 1:06 PM
- MINNESOTA: 6
Sep 25 4:15 AM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21