Gorzelanny, Nats get past MarlinsMay 8, 2011 - 5:55 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Tom Gorzelanny tossed seven strong innings to help the Washington Nationals take a 5-2 win over the Florida Marlins in the second contest of a three-game set.
Gorzelanny (2-2) gave up just two runs on two hits with four walks and six strikeouts for the Nationals, who have taken the first two games of this set after getting swept in Philadelphia.
Adam LaRoche hit a two-run single, while Ian Desmond scored twice and drove in a run.
John Buck clubbed a two-run home run for the Marlins, who have lost three straight and four of five. Chris Volstad (2-2) was tagged for three runs on eight hits with a walk and five strikeouts over six innings to pick up the loss.
The Nationals took a 2-0 lead in the first inning. The first three batters reached base on singles to load the bases and LaRoche followed with a two-run single. Volstad settled down and recorded three straight outs to escape further damage.
"Certainly it's good to get a couple in the first inning. After winning a tough ball game last night, to come out and get a couple early was real good," said Nationals manager Jim Riggleman.
Florida tied the game in the second as Mike Stanton drew a one-out walk and crossed the plate on a shot over the left field wall by Buck, his fourth home run of the season.
The game remained that way until the fifth inning when Desmond hit a one-out triple and came home when Jayson Werth followed with a sacrifice fly to give Washington a 3-2 lead.
After the second inning, Gorzelanny didn't allow a runner past second base before stepping aside for Sean Burnett, who threw a perfect eighth inning.
Washington gave itself some insurance in the ninth inning when Matt Stairs reached base on a Wes Helms error and Jerry Hairston scored due to interference from Hanley Ramirez. Desmond later hit a sacrifice fly to score Danny Espinosa for a 5-2 advantage.
Drew Storen set the Marlins down in order in the ninth for his seventh save of the season.
"We don't have one or two guys right now that are just carrying our team. It's collectively as a team group," said Buck of the Marlins struggles. "If we want to contend with those teams like Colorado or Philly. That's what we got to do."
Florida took two of three from Washington early in April...Volstad fell to 5-2 versus the Nationals over 11 starts...Gorzelanny, who has given up two earned runs or less in five straight starts, is 2-0 in three starts against Florida...Livan Hernandez will help the Nats go for the sweep on Sunday and will be opposed by Anibal Sanchez.
- WASHINGTON: 5
May 7 9:50 PM
- Jayson Werth struck out looking to end the inning.
Nationals 5, Marlins 2 Mid 9May 7 9:43 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Matt Stairs reached first on Wes Helms's fielding error. On the play, Danny Espinosa advances to second and Jerry Hairston Jr. scored on interference by Hanley Ramirez with one out. Runners on first and second and Roger Bernadina due up.
Nationals 4, Marlins 2 Top 9, 1 OutMay 7 9:40 PM
- Jayson Werth sacrifice fly to right scored Ian Desmond with two out. None on and Adam LaRoche due up.
Nationals 3, Marlins 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 7 8:29 PM
- John Buck one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Mike Stanton. Wes Helms due up.
Nationals 2, Marlins 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 7 7:50 PM
- Adam LaRoche single to center scored Roger Bernadina and Ian Desmond with none out. On the play, Jayson Werth advances to second. Runners on first and second and Wilson Ramos due up.
Nationals 2, Marlins 0 Top 1, 0 OutsMay 7 7:25 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 7 7:24 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21