Nationals use strong start to double up MarlinsMay 15, 2011 - 11:20 PM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Ivan Rodriguez went 2-for-3 with three RBI and a run scored to help Washington earn an 8-4 win over Florida and avoid a three-game sweep.
Jason Marquis (5-1) was charged with four runs -- two earned -- on six hits over 6 2/3 innings to get the win. He also went 2-for-3 at the plate with two RBI as the Nationals snapped a three-game losing streak.
Jayson Werth scored twice while Roger Bernadina had an RBI and a run scored in the win. Both players had two hits.
Mike Stanton hit two doubles, scored once and drove in a run for the Marlins, who had won three of four coming in. Javier Vazquez (2-4) took the loss after a rough start, as he was tagged for six runs on seven hits and two walks over just four innings.
"Today he couldn't get out of that first inning and I can't explain it," said Florida manager Edwin Rodriguez about Vazquez. "After that he did a good job, but that first inning was a killer for us."
Washington sent nine men to the plate in the first inning to take a 6-0 lead.
With men on first and second, Laynce Nix singled home a run and, after Adam LaRoche walked to load the bases, Ivan Rodriguez brought home two more with another single. A groundout from Jerry Hairston scored another runner and Alex Cora followed with a single.
Marquis helped his cause with a double into the corner in left that Logan Morrison had trouble getting to, but Marquis was tagged out at third trying to stretch the double into a triple for the final out of the inning.
"It's nice to have that kind of lead after the first inning," said Marquis. "It really helps you relax out there and not have to worry about every pitch you make. It helps that the defense did a great job when I did make bad pitches."
The Marlins got two on the board in the second inning. Gaby Sanchez led off the inning by reaching first thanks to an error on Hairston. After Morrison doubled, a sacrifice fly from Stanton plated Sanchez. Brett Hayes later singled in Morrison to make it a 6-2 game.
In the fifth inning the Nats plated another run as Rodriguez's double scored Werth, who led off with a single, for a 7-2 lead.
Florida made it a three-run game in the seventh. Stanton led off with a double and came home when Greg Dobbs followed with a two-bagger. Later in the inning, Chris Coghlan singled to right to score Dobbs to make it 7-4.
Washington got a run in the eighth inning as an infield single from Bernadina scored Rodriguez.
Washington came into the game having committed just one error in its prior 15 games...Washington hosts Pittsburgh for two games starting on Monday...Florida plays two games in New York against the Mets starting on Monday...Despite the loss, the Marlins are still 21-8 all time at Nationals Park. They had an eight-game winning streak in Washington snapped...Washington reliever Todd Coffey left the game in the seventh inning after getting drilled in his pitching elbow by a Emilio Bonifacio liner back to the mound.
- FLORIDA: 4
May 15 4:50 PM
- Brian Bixler is pinch-running for Matt Stairs at second base.
Marlins 4, Nationals 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 15 4:39 PM
- Chris Coghlan single to right scored Greg Dobbs with two outs. Runner on first and Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Marlins 4, Nationals 7 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 15 3:55 PM
- Greg Dobbs double to right scored Mike Stanton with none out. Runner on second and Brett Hayes due up.
Marlins 3, Nationals 7 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 15 3:47 PM
- Ivan Rodriguez double to left scored Jayson Werth with two outs. Runner on second and Jerry Hairston Jr. due up.
Marlins 2, Nationals 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 15 3:23 PM
- Brett Hayes single to left scored Logan Morrison with two outs. Runner on first and Javier Vazquez due up.
Marlins 2, Nationals 6 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 15 2:12 PM
- Mike Stanton sacrifice fly to left scored Gaby Sanchez with one out. Runner on second and Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 1, Nationals 6 Top 2, 1 OutMay 15 2:08 PM
- Jason Marquis double to left scored Jerry Hairston Jr. and Alex Cora with two outs. On the play, Marquis thrown out at third, left to third to end the inning.
Marlins 0, Nationals 6 End 1May 15 2:02 PM
- Jerry Hairston Jr. grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Adam LaRoche with two outs. Ivan Rodriguez out at second. Runner on first and Alex Cora due up.
Marlins 0, Nationals 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 15 1:59 PM
- Laynce Nix single to left scored Roger Bernadina with one out. On the play, Nix advances to second on Logan Morrison's fielding error. Jayson Werth advances to third. Runners on second and third and Adam LaRoche due up.
Marlins 0, Nationals 1 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 15 1:53 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 1:38 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21