Cain fans 11 in CG, leads Giants over NatsJun 9, 2011 - 1:05 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Matt Cain struck out 11 in the 13th complete game of his career, and also knocked in a run to lead San Francisco past Washington, 3-1, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Cain (5-4) allowed one run on five hits and a walk, and recorded his seventh career double-digit strikeout performance to help secure the Giants' seventh win in 10 games.
"I felt good. We were just ahead in the count a lot and Eli (Whiteside) was calling a lot of good pitches. We were really on the same page," said Cain.
Sean Burnett (1-3) gave up two runs in the seventh inning to take the loss, Washington's fourth in its last six contests.
The Nationals' Yunesky Maya was denied his first major league victory, despite allowing only one run on four hits and a walk in six innings. Maya has an 0-4 record over eight big league starts.
The Giants broke through in the sixth after Eli Whiteside doubled with one out and Cain followed with a double of his own into the right-center field gap to score Whiteside. After Andres Torres walked, Miguel Tejada hit a fielder's choice to put runners on the corners. A Maya wild pitch then put men on second and third, but Freddy Sanchez grounded out to second to end the inning and keep it a 1-0 game.
Washington answered back in the seventh after Michael Morse led off with a single and quickly stole second. Wilson Ramos came up next and hit a sharp grounder up the middle that Brandon Crawford made a diving grab of to save a run. But Morse advanced to third on the play and was able to cross the plate two batters later on a double by Rich Ankiel to knot the game at one.
San Francisco regained the lead for good in the bottom half of the inning off of Burnett. Cody Ross singled with one out and came around to score on a two- out triple by Crawford. A Whiteside single plated Crawford and made the score 3-1.
"The team was playing their butts off against a good pitcher. They were battling and I come in the game and give it away," said Burnett. "I have to apologize to my team because I feel like I cost them ballgames every time I go out there."
The Nationals had chances to jump out to an early lead when they put runners in scoring position in the second and third innings, both times with two outs. But each time Cain was able to get out of the jam. Washington finished 1-for-6 with runners in scoring position and left five men on base.
Jayson Werth sat out his second straight game after injuring his knee when he tripped on a bullpen mound in foul territory chasing a ball on Sunday...Washington dropped to 13-23 on the road this season...In 10 career starts against the Nationals, Cain is 5-4...Cain threw 110 pitches, 78 for strikes.
- WASHINGTON: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Jun 8 6:03 PM
- Eli Whiteside single to center scored Brandon Crawford with two out. Runner on first and Matt Cain due up.
Nationals 1, Giants 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 8 5:34 PM
- Brandon Crawford triple to center scored Cody Ross with two out. Runner on third and Eli Whiteside due up.
Nationals 1, Giants 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 8 5:33 PM
- Rick Ankiel double to right scored Michael Morse with two out. Runner on second and Alex Cora due up.
Nationals 1, Giants 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 8 5:18 PM
- Matt Cain double to right scored Eli Whiteside with one out. Runner on second and Andres Torres due up.
Nationals 0, Giants 1 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 8 5:02 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 8 3:45 PM
- Harlan First shout! Go Giants. By the way who are the nationals? Will somebody please tell me? Nationals suck because i think so! Who likes the giants? Don't be afraid to tell me. Oh and if you are wondering why i am posting these weird comments it is because i am only 9 years old!
Nationals vs. GiantsJun 8 11:27 AM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21