Rockies dominate NationalsAug 7, 2011 - 5:44 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Dexter Fowler knocked in four runs and Troy Tulowitzki added three RBI in Colorado's 15-7 pounding of the Washington Nationals.
Chris Iannetta had four hits, including a homer. Ty Wigginton also went deep as part of a 19-hit attack for the Rockies, who won a night after starting pitcher Juan Nicasio was hit by a line drive in the head. He had surgery in the early morning hours to stabilize a fracture to the C-1 vertebra in his neck. Nicasio remains hospitalized.
"It's still heavy on everyone's hearts," Fowler said. "Fortunately [Nicasio's] doing better ... We were excited to come back and take our minds off it."
Carlos Gonzalez returned from the disabled list and posted two hits, and RBI and scored twice.
Jhoulys Chacin (9-8) walked five batters through five innings, but managed to get his first victory since June 15 against the Padres. Chacin was 0-4 over his previous eight starts.
Michael Morse had four hits and drove in three, but the Nationals lost for the third time in four contests. Rick Ankiel added a two-run homer and Ryan Zimmerman went 2-for-3 with an RBI and scored twice, extending his hitting streak to 15 games.
Livan Hernandez (6-11) gave up nine hits and nine runs -- seven earned -- over 3 2/3 innings to lose for the third time in his last four decisions.
"His stuff wasn't as sharp, and when he's not on bad things happen," Washington manager Davey Johnson said of his starter.
Fowler's two-run triple highlighted Colorado's four-run third inning, which was energized by a Hernandez throwing error. Eric Young Jr.'s sacrifice bunt was picked up by Hernandez, but his throw was wide of first, allowing Iannetta to score. Fowler followed with his hit to right field and Tulowitzki capped the frame with a sacrifice fly.
Morse's RBI double keyed Washington's two-run fourth, but the Rockies pulled away with a five-spot in the bottom half, helped by solo homers from Wigginton and Iannetta. Gonzalez and Tulowitzki added RBI hits in the frame.
Morse drove in another run in the fifth and Ankiel's blast, combined with a Zimmerman run-scoring double and Morse's RBI base hit, got the visitors within 9-7 in the sixth.
The Rockies, though, kept up the pressure as Tulowitzki doubled in a run in the bottom of the same inning. The Rockies then put together four straight hits against Todd Coffey and Sean Burnett in the seventh. Young doubled in a run and Fowler added a two-run single for a 13-7 cushion.
Colorado added two more in the eighth on a bases-loaded walk and a wild pitch.
Hernandez fell to 7-12 lifetime against the Rockies...Colorado posted its second win in seven games...Zimmerman's 15-game hit streak is the longest posted by a National since his own 16-gamer, July 27-August 13, 2009...As part of their roster moves, the Rockies also placed outfielder Ryan Spilborghs and Nicasio on the DL, and recalled right-handed pitcher Greg Reynolds from Triple- A Colorado Springs.
- WASHINGTON: 7
Aug 6 11:28 PM
- Ian Stewart advances to second on a wild pitch. Chris Iannetta advances to third. Seth Smith scored. Runners on second and third with two outs and Eric Young Jr. at the plate.
Nationals 7, Rockies 15 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 6 11:23 PM
- Ian Stewart walked. Troy Tulowitzki scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Eric Young Jr. due up.
Nationals 7, Rockies 14 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 6 11:22 PM
- Dexter Fowler single to left scored Ian Stewart and Eric Young Jr. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Nationals 7, Rockies 13 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 6 10:44 PM
- Eric Young Jr. double to right scored Chris Iannetta. On the play, Ian Stewart advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Dexter Fowler due up.
Nationals 7, Rockies 11 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 6 10:40 PM
- Todd Helton lined into a double play, third to second. Troy Tulowitzki doubled off second to end the inning.
Nationals 7, Rockies 10 End 6Aug 6 10:24 PM
- Jayson Werth grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Nationals 7, Rockies 9 Mid 6Aug 6 10:11 PM
- Michael Morse single to left scored Danny Espinosa. On the play, Ryan Zimmerman advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jayson Werth due up.
Nationals 3, Rockies 9 Top 5, 1 OutAug 6 9:44 PM
- Tom Gorzelanny enters the game for the Nationals with a runner on first and two out.
Nationals 2, Rockies 9 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 6 9:33 PM
- Jhoulys Chacin singled to center. Runner on first with one out and Eric Young Jr. due up.
Nationals 2, Rockies 6 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 6 9:23 PM
- Chris Nelson fouled out to catcher. None on with one out and Chris Iannetta due up.
Nationals 2, Rockies 5 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 6 9:21 PM
- Ian Desmond grounded into a fielder's choice, pitcher to catcher. On the play, Jonny Gomes advances to second and Jayson Werth advances to third and Michael Morse out at home. Bases loaded with one out and Wilson Ramos due up.
Nationals 1, Rockies 4 Top 4, 1 OutAug 6 9:12 PM
- Todd Helton flied out to center to end the inning.
Nationals 0, Rockies 4 End 3Aug 6 8:58 PM
- Dexter Fowler triple to right scored Jhoulys Chacin and Eric Young Jr. Runner on third with none out and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Nationals 0, Rockies 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 6 8:54 PM
- Eric Young Jr. sacrifice bunt to pitcher. On the play, Eric Young Jr. reached first on Livan Hernandez's throwing error. Chris Iannetta scored. On the play, Jhoulys Chacin advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Dexter Fowler due up.
Nationals 0, Rockies 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 6 8:53 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 6 8:15 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21