Fuld's big game leads Rays' rout of Red SoxApr 12, 2011 - 5:42 AM
Johnny Damon, Ben Zobrist and B.J. Upton all had three hits for Tampa Bay, which snapped a two-game losing streak to open a three-game set at Fenway Park. Damon, John Jaso and Reid Brignac finished with three RBI apiece.
Rays starter Jeremy Hellickson (1-1) did a solid job in 5 1/3 innings, allowing two runs on five hits and five walks.
Adrian Gonzalez and David Ortiz each had a rare triple while Jacoby Ellsbury belted a solo shot for the Red Sox, who were coming off a 2-1 series win over the rival Yankees.
Daisuke Matsuzaka (0-2) was hammered in two innings, allowing seven runs on eight hits. The Red Sox then used three more pitchers, who combined to allow nine more runs, to finish out the game.
Carl Crawford went 2-for-5 with ground-rule double in his first game against his former team. The outfielder left the Rays as a free agent this offseason, signing a seven-year, $142 million deal with the Red Sox.
Needing just a single in the ninth to complete the cycle, Fuld hit a line shot down the left field line for a standup double instead of pulling up for the rare feat. His night was one of many highlights of the Tampa Bay offense, which started early.
"I don't get too many chances to get extra-base hits so I'm going to take them when I can," Fuld said of his final double. "It was a sure double and there's no chance I was going to stop."
Damon lifted the first pitch he saw just over the right field fence to take the wind out of Boston's sails in the first inning. However, it was the second inning that the Rays really poured it on.
Matsuzaka got rocked by putting the first seven batters on base and arousing Fenway Park's boo birds.
"It looked like he was trying to establish the fastball and the curveball," Sox manager Terry Francona said of his starter. "Then he got into the second and every ball was going right down the plate."
Zobrist doubled to start the inning, Upton walked and Felipe Lopez singled to load the bases. Then Jaso lined a shot off the base of the Green Monster to score Zobrist and Upton.
Lopez and Jaso crossed home on a Brignac single while Fuld's second-career homer, which wrapped just inside the Pesky Pole, plated Brignac. After a Damon single, Matt Joyce, Dan Johnson and Zobrist all were retired by Matsuzaka to end the six-run nightmare inning.
The Red Sox got on the board in the third on an Gonzalez triple, which scored Dustin Pedroia. The first baseman's first triple of the season was set up by Joyce's failed diving attempt on a line shot down the right line.
The Rays, though, got it back during their turn in the fourth when Damon singled in Fuld from second.
Ortiz hustled for a triple to lead off the home portion of the fourth and scored on J.D. Drew's single, however, the Rays answered again in the top of the fifth with a run to keep it at a seven-run game, 9-2.
Tampa Bay tagged on a three-run sixth inning and piled on four in the ninth while the Red Sox scored one run in each of the last three innings to make up the final score.
Zobrist had two RBI and two doubles...Fuld scored three times...The Rays were an impressive 9-for-18 with runners in scoring position...Boston was 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position, while leaving 11 runners on base...Matsuzaka continues his struggles with the Rays dropping to 2-7 in 13 starts against their East Division foe...Tampa won 11 of 18 from the Red Sox last season, including six of the nine matchups at Fenway.
- TAMPA BAY: 16
Apr 11 10:41 PM
- Darnell McDonald struck out looking. Runner on second with two outs and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Rays 16, Red Sox 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 11 10:39 PM
- Johnny Damon's groundout from short to first scored Reid Brignac. Runner on third with two outs and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 16, Red Sox 4 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 11 10:27 PM
- Sam Fuld doubled to left scoring Casey Kotchman. Runners on second and third with one out and Johnny Damon due up.
Rays 15, Red Sox 4 Top 9, 1 OutApr 11 10:26 PM
- Reid Brignac singled to center scoring B.J. Upton. Runners on first and second with one out and Sam Fuld due up.
Rays 14, Red Sox 4 Top 9, 1 OutApr 11 10:24 PM
- Casey Kotchman singled to right scoring Ben Zobrist. Runners on first and second with none out and John Jaso due up.
Rays 13, Red Sox 4 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 11 10:20 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Marco Scutaro is due up.
Rays 12, Red Sox 4 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 11 10:06 PM
- David Ortiz singled to center scoring Carl Crawford. Runners on first and third with two outs and Darnell McDonald due up.
Rays 12, Red Sox 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 11 9:49 PM
- Ben Zobrist doubled to right scoring Johnny Damon and Matt Joyce. Runner on second with one out and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 12, Red Sox 2 Top 6, 1 OutApr 11 9:13 PM
- Jared Saltalamacchia's passed ball scored Sam Fuld. Runner on second with none out as Johnny Damon advanced and Matt Joyce at the plate.
Rays 10, Red Sox 2 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 11 9:08 PM
- John Jaso doubled to left scoring B.J. Upton. Runner on second with two outs and Reid Brignac due up.
Rays 9, Red Sox 2 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 11 8:46 PM
- J.D. Drew singled to center scoring David Ortiz. Runner on first with none out and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Rays 8, Red Sox 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 11 8:29 PM
- Johnny Damon singled to center scoring Sam Fuld. Runner on first with one out and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 8, Red Sox 1 Top 4, 1 OutApr 11 8:21 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez tripled to right scoring Dustin Pedroia. Runner on third with two outs and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Rays 7, Red Sox 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 11 8:13 PM
- Sam Fuld none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Reid Brignac. Johnny Damon is due up.
Rays 7, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 11 7:40 PM
- Reid Brignac singled to right scoring Felipe Lopez and John Jaso. Runner on first with none out and Sam Fuld due up.
Rays 5, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 11 7:40 PM
- John Jaso doubled to left-center scoring Ben Zobrist and B.J. Upton. Runners on second and third with none out and Reid Brignac due up.
Rays 3, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 11 7:38 PM
- Johnny Damon one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Matt Joyce is due up.
Rays 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 11 7:12 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 11 7:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21