Zobrist, Damon homer to power Rays past JaysApr 24, 2011 - 4:56 AM
Johnny Damon hit a two-run homer to extend his hitting streak to 12 games for the Rays, who bounced back from a 6-4, 11-inning loss in the opener of this series on Friday.
David Price (3-2) gave up four runs on eight hits over eight-plus innings to record his third straight win. The left-hander also struck out five and walked two. He improved to 7-0 lifetime against the Blue Jays.
Jose Bautista went 3-for-3 with a pair of solo homers and three runs scored for the Blue Jays, who got an RBI apiece from Adam Lind and Juan Rivera.
Brandon Morrow (0-1) went 5 1/3 innings in his 2011 debut, allowing three runs on three hits. The right-hander, who had been sidelined due to inflammation in his right elbow, also fanned 10 batters.
"Any runs you get off of Morrow are big ones," Zobrist said. "He does such a good job and all his pitches are A-plus pitches."
Holding a 6-2 lead, Price stayed on in the ninth in an attempt for his third career complete game. The Blue Jays, who have seven come-from-behind wins this season, had an answer for Price. Bautista singled, moved to second on defensive indifference and crossed the plate on Lind's double off the wall in right.
Jose Molina followed with a single to put men on the corners. That signaled the end of Price's day. Kyle Farnsworth came in and immediately gave up an RBI single to Rivera. Travis Snider moved the runners to second and third with a sacrifice bunt. John McDonald grounded out to Farnsworth and Mike McCoy grounded out to third to end the game, giving Farnsworth his fifth save.
Damon extended his hitting streak in the first inning with a two-run homer but Toronto responded with a run in the home first on Bautista's two-out blast to left-center.
"I figure he was coming with a fastball and I got in a good spot," Bautista said of the home run.
Price then retired eight straight batters before Bautista came to the plate again with one out in the fourth and cleared the wall in left to make it a 2-2 game.
Tampa Bay took the lead back in the sixth. Sam Fuld led off with a walk and stole second while Damon went down swinging. Carlos Villanueva took over on the mound for Morrow and walked Matt Joyce. Zobrist stepped to the plate and crushed a fastball into the second deck in right for a 5-2 lead.
The Rays tacked on a run in the seventh. Casey Janssen hit Sean Rodriguez with a pitch to start the frame. Reid Brignac followed with a bunt single and runners were on the corners after Fuld grounded into a fielder's choice. Damon then grounded into a fielder's choice for a 6-2 margin.
Some nice defense by Fuld in the home seventh kept it a four-run game. Bautista walked and Molina singled to put men on first and second with one out. Rivera went down swinging before Snider hit a fly ball into the gap in left-center field. Fuld, patrolling left field, made a nice diving catch to prevent a few runs from scoring.
The Blue Jays had another chance to score in the eighth. With runners on the corners, Price ended the threat by getting Corey Patterson to ground into a 5-4-3 double play.
Tampa Bay won 10 of the 18 meetings with Toronto last season...The Blue Jays placed infielder Jayson Nix on the 15-day disabled list Saturday because of a left shin contusion...Mike McCoy was called up from Triple-A Las Vegas and started at second...Morrow made 26 starts last season and compiled a 10-7 record with a 4.49 earned run average...Fuld scored twice...Toronto went 3- for-8 with runners in scoring position.
- TAMPA BAY: 6
Apr 23 3:55 PM
- Juan Rivera singled to left scored Adam Lind. Runners on first and second with none out and Travis Snider due up.
Rays 6, Blue Jays 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsApr 23 3:51 PM
- Adam Lind doubled to right scored Jose Bautista. Runner on second with none out and Jose Molina due up.
Rays 6, Blue Jays 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsApr 23 3:48 PM
- Johnny Damon's fielder's choice, second to short scored Sean Rodriguez. Runner on first with two outs and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 6, Blue Jays 2 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 23 3:05 PM
- Ben Zobrist one-out, three-run Home Run (4) to right scored Sam Fuld and Matt Joyce. B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 5, Blue Jays 2 Top 6, 1 OutApr 23 2:39 PM
- Jose Bautista one-out, solo Home Run 2 (7) to left. Adam Lind due up.
Rays 2, Blue Jays 2 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 23 2:07 PM
- Jose Bautista two-out, solo Home Run (6) to left-center. Edwin Encarnacion is due up.
Rays 2, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 23 1:23 PM
- Johnny Damon none-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Sam Fuld. Matt Joyce is due up.
Rays 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 0 OutsApr 23 1:13 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 23 1:08 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21