Zobrist sets club record with 8 RBI as Rays pound TwinsApr 29, 2011 - 1:15 AM
Zobrist also had a pair of two-run doubles and an RBI single, and surpassed Carlos Pena, who drove in seven versus Baltimore on September 5, 2007.
"I was just in the right spot with a lot of teammates on base and was fortunate to have a few [hits] fall today," Zobrist said.
B.J. Upton went 3-for-4 with two RBI and scored three times, while Casey Kotchman added a solo homer for Tampa Bay, which has won four straight and is now 13-5 since losing its first six games of the season. Johnny Damon had three hits, three runs scored and an RBI, extending his hitting streak to 15 games.
Jeremy Hellickson (2-2) picked up the win after tossing 6 1/3 innings. The right-hander allowed three runs on seven hits and one walk while striking out three.
Michael Cuddyer had a two hits and a solo homer for the Twins, who have dropped two in a row since winning five of their previous seven. Rene Tosoni, making his major league debut, went 2-for-4 with an RBI single in defeat.
Nick Blackburn (1-4) struggled mightily in losing his fourth straight start. He was roughed up for seven runs -- five earned -- on eight hits and four walks without recording a strikeout in 3 1/3 innings.
Tampa Bay put up a pair of runs in the first to grab an early edge. Damon worked a one-out walk, stole second and came around to score on Upton's base hit to right. Upton then moved into scoring position with a pilfer of second and scored on a Zobrist single.
Kotchman led off the second with a home run to right to make it a 3-0 game and the Rays tacked on two more in the third on Kelly Shoppach's sacrifice fly and Kotchman's base hit, coupled with an error on Tosoni in left.
Sam Fuld reached with a walk to start the fourth and came in on Damon's triple high off the right-field wall. Upton followed with an RBI single up the middle to put the Rays up 7-0.
Cuddyer's homer off the left-field foul pole put the Twins on the board in the bottom of the frame, but with two aboard in the sixth, Zobrist cleared the bases with a three-run shot into the right-field seats.
Tampa Bay pushed three more across in the seventh on an RBI single by Matt Joyce and two-run double by Zobrist.
Tosoni and Luke Hughes each had a run-scoring base hit in the home half.
With the bases loaded and one out in the top of the ninth, Zobrist's two-run double to left set the franchise-record with eight RBI and put his club ahead 15-3.
"They're playing good ball right now," Twins catcher Drew Butera said of the Rays.
Minnesota will start Anthony Swarzak in the second game, while Tampa Bay goes with Jeff Niemann...The Rays have won five of six versus the Twins so far in 2011...The last major leaguer with eight RBI in a game was Toronto's Adam Lind against Texas on August 31, 2009.
- TAMPA BAY: 15
Apr 28 4:38 PM
- Ben Zobrist double to left scored Felipe Lopez and Elliot Johnson with one out. Runners on second and third and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 15, Twins 3 Top 9, 1 OutApr 28 4:25 PM
- Luke Hughes single to center scored Danny Valencia with one out. Runners on first and second and Denard Span due up.
Rays 13, Twins 3 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 28 3:52 PM
- Rene Tosoni single to center scored Michael Cuddyer with none out. Runners on first and second and Steve Holm due up.
Rays 13, Twins 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 28 3:47 PM
- Ben Zobrist double to left scored B.J. Upton and Matt Joyce with two outs. Runner on second and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 13, Twins 1 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 28 3:36 PM
- Matt Joyce single to center scored Johnny Damon with two outs. Runners on first and second and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 11, Twins 1 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 28 3:34 PM
- Ben Zobrist one-out, three-run Home Run (6) to right scored B.J. Upton and Matt Joyce. Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 10, Twins 1 Top 6, 1 OutApr 28 3:04 PM
- Michael Cuddyer two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Danny Valencia due up.
Rays 7, Twins 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 28 2:39 PM
- B.J. Upton single to center scored Johnny Damon with none out. Runner on first and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 7, Twins 0 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 28 2:25 PM
- Johnny Damon triple to right scored Sam Fuld with none out. Runner on third and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 6, Twins 0 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 28 2:24 PM
- Casey Kotchman single to left scored Sean Rodriguez with two outs. On the play, Kotchman advances to second on Rene Tosoni's fielding error. Runner on second and Reid Brignac due up.
Rays 5, Twins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 28 2:05 PM
- Kelly Shoppach sacrifice fly to left scored Ben Zobrist with two outs. Runner on first and Casey Kotchman due up.
Rays 4, Twins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 28 2:02 PM
- Casey Kotchman lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Reid Brignac due up.
Rays 3, Twins 0 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 28 1:39 PM
- Ben Zobrist single to right scored B.J. Upton with one out. Runners on first and third and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 2, Twins 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 28 1:23 PM
- B.J. Upton single to right scored Johnny Damon with one out. Runner on first and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 1, Twins 0 Top 1, 1 OutApr 28 1:15 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Apr 28 1:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22