Trumbo leads Angels over RaysApr 30, 2011 - 5:57 AM St. Petersburg, FL (Sports Network) - Mark Trumbo went 2-for-5 with a home run and four RBI, powering the Angels to an 8-5 win over the Tampa Bay Rays in the opener of a three-game series.
Erick Aybar knocked in a pair of runs for the Angels, who pounded out 17 hits coming off a series win over the Athletics.
Ervin Santana (1-3) battled through six innings to pick up his first win of the year, surviving four runs -- one earned -- on four hits and two walks.
"It came down command of his fastball and he threw some great breaking balls when he needed to," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia about Santana. "Really he pitched a great game out there and won the game for us."
David Price (3-3) was knocked around for 12 hits and five runs in just 4 1/3 innings of work for Tampa Bay, which had a five-game winning streak stopped.
Matt Joyce belted a three-run homer in a losing cause.
"They got us tonight but I am very pleased with the way my guys went about their business tonight," said Tampa Bay manager Joe Maddon. "They gave it their all and it just turned up short, that's going to happen."
Trumbo and Casey Kotchman traded run-scoring hits in the second inning before the Rays took a 4-1 lead on Joyce's no-doubter in the third, which began with Aybar booting Reid Brignac's ground ball.
The lead was short-lived, however, as the Angels pushed three across in the fourth. Howie Kendrick led off the inning with a double, moved to third on Price's errant pickoff attempt and raced home on Aybar's infield single. Trumbo followed with a shot halfway up the seats in left-center to tie things.
Price was pulled after giving up the lead and then loading the bases in the fifth. Vernon Wells' sacrifice fly scored Bobby Abreu with the go-ahead run, but Aybar spoiled a chance for more when he grounded into an inning-ending double play off Juan Cruz.
Rays relievers Cesar Ramos and Adam Russell combined to load the bases in the seventh, and the latter walked Alberto Callaspo to force in a run before Aybar's RBI groundout made it 7-4.
B.J. Upton's eighth-inning leadoff homer off Fernando Rodney cut the deficit to two, but the Angels got the run back in the ninth when Trumbo knocked in Kendrick with a groundout.
Jordan Walden worked around a leadoff double in the ninth to secure his fourth save.
Abreu, Kendrick and Callaspo each recorded three hits for the Angels...Rays outfielder Johnny Damon went 0-for-4, snapping a 16-game hitting streak...Joyce was ejected for arguing balls and strikes in the sixth inning...Ben Zobrist, coming off a 13-RBI performance in the Rays' three-game sweep of Minnesota, went 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored...The Rays went 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position.
- LOS ANGELES: 8
TAMPA BAY: 5
Apr 29 11:02 PM
- B.J. Upton lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Matt Joyce due up.
Angels 7, Rays 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 29 10:00 PM
- Erick Aybar grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Vernon Wells. Runners on first and third with two outs and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 7, Rays 4 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 29 9:33 PM
- Vernon Wells sacrifice fly out to center scored Bobby Abreu. Torii Hunter advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with one out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 5, Rays 4 Top 5, 1 OutApr 29 8:41 PM
- Mark Trumbo one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Erick Aybar. Jeff Mathis due up.
Angels 4, Rays 4 Top 4, 1 OutApr 29 8:18 PM
- Erick Aybar singled to short scored Howie Kendrick. Runner on first with one out and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 2, Rays 4 Top 4, 1 OutApr 29 8:18 PM
- Matt Joyce two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Reid Brignac and Sam Fuld. Ben Zobrist due up.
Angels 1, Rays 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 29 8:07 PM
- Casey Kotchman doubled to left scored Ben Zobrist. Runner on second with one out and Felipe Lopez due up.
Angels 1, Rays 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 29 7:39 PM
- Mark Trumbo singled to left scored Alberto Callaspo. Runners on first and second with one out and Jeff Mathis due up.
Angels 1, Rays 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 29 7:32 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 29 7:10 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22