Marlins hang on to defeat RaysMay 22, 2011 - 3:43 AM
Hanley Ramirez hit a solo shot for the Marlins, who have won the first two games in the series.
Javier Vazquez (3-4) worked seven scoreless innings, allowing just three hits and two walks while fanning seven. Leo Nunez hurled a scoreless ninth for his 17th save.
"Everybody's right here, man, everybody feeds off each other," Ramirez said of his club's winning chemistry. "When we start winning like this, it makes everybody want to stick together."
Johnny Damon hit a two-run single for the Rays, who stumbled to their sixth loss in eight outings. David Price (5-4) suffered the loss after yielding six hits and five runs over 6 2/3 frames.
Down by five, the Rays put together a brief surge in the eighth inning against three Florida pitchers. Three straight walks with one out loaded the bases, then Kelly Shoppach worked a pinch-hit base on balls to force in Tampa's first run of the contest.
Damon followed with a pinch-single to right which brought in two more and shave the Marlins' edge to 5-3. John Jaso killed the rally by striking out swinging.
Nunez, though, shut the door in the ninth. Though Elliot Johnson singled and stole second, Reid Brignac fanned looking, Justin Ruggiano grounded out and Ben Zobrist struck out.
"I really like the fact that we took the chances we had to come back and try to win this game," said Rays manager Joe Maddon. "There's a lot of positives in this game, but offensively we'd like to be more consistent."
Florida dented Price early, picking up two runs in the first as Emilio Bonifacio walked, Ramirez bunted for a hit and Morrison followed with a double to score both.
Ramirez made it 3-0 when he started the home sixth with his fourth home run of the season, then Wes Helms singled with one out in the seventh and came home on Infante's two-run shot.
Florida has won six of the last eight meetings with Tampa Bay...This was the longest outing for Vazquez since he worked seven innings in a win at Cleveland on July 26, 2010...Prior to the game, the Marlins placed ace Josh Johnson on the 15-day disabled list Saturday with right shoulder inflammation and selected the contract of right-hander Jay Buente from Triple-A New Orleans.
- TAMPA BAY: 3
May 21 7:07 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Johnny Damon single to right scored B.J. Upton and Evan Longoria with two out. On the play, Kelly Shoppach advances to second. Runners on first and second and John Jaso due up.
Rays 3, Marlins 5 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 21 6:40 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Kelly Shoppach walk scored Justin Ruggiano with two out. Bases loaded and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 1, Marlins 5 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 21 6:37 PM
- Osvaldo Martinez is pinch-hitting for Javier Vazquez.
Rays 0, Marlins 5 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 21 6:08 PM
- Hanley Ramirez lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Logan Morrison due up.
Rays 0, Marlins 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 21 5:44 PM
- Logan Morrison double to left scored Emilio Bonifacio and Hanley Ramirez with none out. Runner on second and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Rays 0, Marlins 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 21 4:22 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 21 4:10 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21